Sandboxie Licence questions

Discussion in 'Sandboxie (SBIE Open Source) Plus & Classic' started by StillBorn, Jun 15, 2022.

1. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

So, sooner or later you will go for the yearly subscription route on this masterpiece of software. You've earned it and deserve it. Hopefully you will toss in the option of a lifetime license in the mix. Peace out.

2. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

Is this some attempt on reverse psychology or what?

How is that "so"?
    How does it logically follow from a request to test a build after a week of bugs that the software will be made subscription based only?

There is already a live time license option in form of the Huge supporter certificate you are welcome to buy one ;)

3. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

Dude how i love sandboxie classic but this toxic policy about 800€ for live time access to unlock hiden exctra features in free PLUS version... its pathetic.
    https://xanasoft.com/product/sandboxie-plus-huge-supporter-certificate/

Even corpotration have more friendly license system like VMware where you can get full version just for 190€ not 800€ lulz and dont hide other extra payment to unlock hiden features like in other toxic game with [pay 2 win shop/items] and other cancer micro payments which are more exenpsive than other comon full game.... this is pathetic.
    https://store-de.vmware.com/vmware-workstation-16-pro-5434558400.html

For that 800€ you can buy bundle of other software which do more fat job than this extra featrues in standalone sandboxie, and half of this soft will also incude lifetime license example shadow defender

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  4. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

You are wrong VMWare will give you a licence for the 16.xx line of builds, afaik once they go 17.xx you will need to pay an other 200€ and so on and on and on... after a few years you are past the 800€

If you want to buy a current version of sandboxie without perpetual updates you can go for the medium 1 year of updates or large 2 years of updates certificate. After that time however no new builds will accept the old certificate, while the old builds will keep working with those certificates.
    So if you want updates you will have to buy a new medium or large certificate and on so on and so on and so on just like with VMWare.

The Huge certificate in contrary is valid for ever for any sandboxie-plus build that will ever be made, that's why its so expensive.

No Serious company ever sold lifetime licenses with perpetual updates, the scheme of selling something that requires perpetual work for a one of cheep payment is setting the project up for an exit i.e. to sell it with a large user basis and leave the problem of having to perform no longer payed work to the new project owners. IMHO

5. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

@DavidXanatos
    Not at all true you need pay Once time 200€ and later for each upgrade buy price is 1/3 about 70€ and that one version version which you buy work forever... however old build not cointain lates fix and other new features.
    Based on changelog relase each version beetwen core revison ex 15 and 16 is take mostly 2 years interval time before they relase other new revison.
    https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Workstation-Pro/16/rn/VMware-Workstation-16-Pro-Release-Notes.html

So for example 10 year cooperate whith vmware
    its like 200€ + 70 + 70 + 70 + 70 = which total 480€ which is still half of your price

Any way lifetime license is Oxymoron
    Becasue producent / company / dev whatever... can abadon product in each time in unexpected moment.. that exacly what happen with Online Amormr, Outpost Firewall or even Winpatroll (scotty) and other....
    I have life time liense oryginal license for Outpost as thier polish suport, but i cant active it bc even server with license activator not work anymore haha. So i had use offline activator crack for test soft in vmware for fun.

I got life time sandboxie old license before soft wasnt yet much popular sended much bugs and tips in old forum.. do i got current profit from it , from license ?
    No.... i feel like im got betrayed and i need buy your donation for unlock some few features in new sandboxie once again and again....
    BUY / DO DONATE for Unlock feature in free open source software... do you understand it how it sound :argh:o_O
    Its riduculus pay 800€ for unlock features in open source software especially when was, exist in past as shareware and you got also that lifetime license for 35€ xDDDD

That exacly explain how much worth is this LIFETIME license...
    Even other companies dont set so high price !! for lifetime in shareware license soft.

In game which are free to play but each time for do something more you need pay so game is not at all free as try to look be and we called this toxic game as FREEMIUM oxymoron from conecting freemium and premium features. but 80% of game you need do with premium feature so free is just tricky marketing scam for bring players.

6. Freki123

Freki123 Registered Member

Even the Sandboxie Plus Business Certificate for 10 years would be: 10 years * 40€ = 400€
    As for lifetime licenses. They are a gamble on how long the company will exist (or they honor the license). As long as they are cheap I like to gamble (not talking about 800€ here). Outpost, Spyshelter, Adguard..
    Sometimes you win sometimes you lose.
    Free sandboxie plus has all the options I need. As long as it exists I'm happy with it :)

7. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

<start OT>
    No principal objections here - but at least this last statement is not entirely correct. I'd like to utter a special curtain-call here for Mr. Christian Ghisler, the developer of "Windows-/Total Commander", IMHO the most brilliant 3rd-party addition to the Windows-world and best file-manager ever out there. As he DOES offer a lifelong license including all future updates which come in about yearly intervals and he has never let us (meaning his user-base) down since the start of this phenomenal project in 1993 now approaching its 30-year-anniversary at the end of next year
    <End OT>

8. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

@algol1 "Windows-/Total Commander" still looks like in 199x when I used it for the first time, which beings in my point rather neatly. Total commander sure got some updates here and there but the bulk of the work was done once and what came than was not that much, presumably. And I wrote "something that requires perpetual work for a one of cheep payment" TC does not require perpetual work, snadboxie howeever does, this is what makes the difference in how expensive a life time option has to be.
    See code weavers those guys behind wine/crossover they also offer a life time option which is also quite expensive: https://www.codeweavers.com/store#cxlinux
    So its not like my model is unprecedented, and as to why 1k€ (discounted to 800 currently) that was a value a user on github suggested: https://github.com/sandboxie-plus/Sandboxie/issues/1495#issuecomment-1046348957
    I just went along with the suggestion, it wasn't my idea, LOL

Should I drop the huge option to 500€??

9. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I certainly don't have any problem paying for a piece of software, especially one like Sandboxie. But did I miss a post somewhere? What are the differences between paid and free?
    Thanks,
    Acadia

10. DjKilla

DjKilla Registered Member

As of now, Sandboxie is free but you can donate or pay through Patreon to support Sandboxie. I think it's StillBorn that's pushing for a subscription but I haven't seen any mention of going this route as of yet from DavidXanatos. The other posts above I think have to do with purchasing a certificate for business use or personal certificate for Sandboxie which doesn't concern us the little people. Anyway, that's how I interpret the above conversation and posts.

11. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

1.) You get new box types with altered security characteristics.
    a.) since Version 1.0.xx you can configure a box to no longer use a token based isolation, that admittedly reduces security a bit (such that its comparable with for example comodo sandbox) but it improves the compatibility with sandboxed software.
    b.) in version 1.3.xx you will also get a extra hardened mode which goes above and beyond what currently a hardened box is.

2.) You can use the Rule Specificity feature which allows you to have a sort of fine grain rule priority something that sandboxie classic can't do, there a block rule overrules any other rule no mater what. With Rule Specificity how ever you can for example make your profile a write only path, but set your Firefox bookmark file to be open, and may be your downloads folder as well. With this feature rules which are more specific (longer path) overrule more generic (shorter path) rules, plus a few other minor policies to determine optimal rule priority.

3.) You also get an option to switch the box behavior from the classic black list approach, that is any malware can read any of your super secret files, unless you have used ClosecFilePath directives to protect those, to a white list approach, such that boxed processes see only C:\Windows, C:\Program Files and C:\Program Files (x86) and noting else, any other location needs to be configured manually by you to be readable, or writable.

4.) You gat to use the BreakoutProcess feature which allows you to configure a box such that selected processes can be started eider outside, or be redirected into a separated box. So for example such that no mater from which box you start Firefox, it will always be started in the FoxieBox. Or you could run steam sandboxed but have all of your games run unboxed on the system.

5.) The Support Sandboxie-Plus on Patreon banner goes away.

6.) The modern Plus UI is only free for personal use, if you want to use it in a commercial setting you need a business certificate.

n.) And much more to come

12. soccerfan

soccerfan Registered Member

A few questions on patreon:
    1. Does being a patreon give you a supporter certificate?
    2. If so, do different patreon levels mean different types of supporter certificates?
    3. If so, what happens to spporter cert if one stops being a patreon?

13. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

1. yes
    2. curerntly not
    3. that depands,
    the certificate generating code on my server looks on how much the patreon has payed in total and generates an appropriate certificate,
    > 10€ and < 30€ small, < 50€ medium, < 500€ large, > 500€ huge.
    So you are stuck with that last cert you got. And if its one that expires it will expire.

14. soccerfan

Thank you. Just became one.
    Curious: What happens to the supporter cert that I already have (or should I PM you)?

15. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

16. soccerfan

17. StillBorn

Okay. Never mind. A reasonable and profitable business model. I never mentioned it. It never happened. Hey, I'll be as ecstatic as everyone else to download the best free lunch and have my cake, too. Carry on.

18. DavidXanatos

DavidXanatos Developer

As you know you are free to donate as much as you feal is fair ;)

I myself never use any sort of subscription based software, out of principle, so it would not be fair to force such a model on others.

Also given sandboxies nature, you can't use an old version forever so there is a natural requirement as windows and the browsers break things to keep up and sooner or later get the next version and if its late enough you will need a new certificate for that.
    So by the nature of the project if you can only get version x with 1 or 2 years of updates and then need to get a new version its also a continuous revenue stream. And all that without the ideological downsides of a subscription only model.

19. StillBorn

In deference to your highly esteemed judgement @DavidXanatos, thank you. After seeing your thoughts so clearly laid out on a" potential business model" issue, my "lifetime license" gaffe was at best a faux paus and probably worse. All the best and and I'll be downloading the newest and
    latest versions as long as you're willing to provide them. Vive' la Sandboxie!:D

20. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations and Greetings,

* Different between free and paid versions.
    * How often will Sandboxie be updated:)?

Your thoughts/ opinions.

@Acadia
    Thank you for pointing this out, I had to work early and did not time to every post.
    # 11

Last edited: Jun 18, 2022
  21. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

David answered that in post number 11 above.
    Acadia

22. algol1

algol1 Registered Member

No need to defend your stance here, David. Although the argument that TC still looks "soo 90s" rings thoroughly hollow to me. There are things that have reached the pinnacle of usability and every step away from that fundamental concept would be tantamount to a giant leap downwards. This brilliant concept, if you might contemplate for a second, has initially been invented by DOS-"Norton Commander" and when Windows came out its proprietary file-manager, now evolved into (still) pathetic "Explorer", had been trounced hands down by the then DOS-champion in functionality. Only Ghisler then understood not only to transfer NC to the Windows-world better than Peter Nortons company ever did, he added functionality on and on.

So if you think that the additions to TC since then have only been cosmetic in nature I can only imagine that you haven't been using TC for a VERY long time. I dare say that it is today the most mighty singular piece of 3rd-party-Win-software out there. Alone its top-sophisticated search-capabilities by all kinds of special criteria, the ability to compare (by true content) and synchronize whole giant sub-tree-structures and its multi-renaming-capabilities making administrating a systematic file nomenclature a breeze - all these features and many more set it apart refreshingly and significantly from the bulk of 3rd-party additions to Win out there. If you prefer true power over empty optical gimmicks, modernistic yet clumsy looks and "mickey-mouse-cinema" any time a day - much like I do - then you would understand why TC is practically my main user-interface for subjugating Windows-arrogance and MS's increasing tendency to boss around their paying customers.

23. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I wouldn't have a problem with a yearly fee, but the only thing I'm worried about is what if development stopped.

24. henryg1

henryg1 Registered Member

If there is to be an annual or version fee, then I would like to see better documentation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.