Sandboxie doesn't handle crashes well

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by masqueofhastur, Dec 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

I had a complete system hang while I had Sandboxie running - it wasn't actually anything to do with Sandboxie, a NES Emulator I was running was lagging a bit so I gave the process real time priority. Couldn't do anything afterwards and had to do a hard shut down. Vulcan nerve pinch didn't even work.

On boot up, the system spent a long time getting rid of references to files in C:\Sandbox.

Clearly giving a process real time priority wasn't the best idea, but there are a number of other things that can cause similar crashes, and if you're in a hurry to reboot, Sandboxie's gonna cause some problems. I like the idea, it has some decent benefits, such as being able to terminate programs inside the sandbox easier than through the task manager, but the cleanup necessary when it couldn't shut down properly is quite a pain. In my case it took at least 2 hours for the file system to get cleared up - that's after running my system without shutting down for over a week.

2. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Improper shut downs, whether or not they can be avoided, messes up a lot of things. Expecting a package to behave as if nothing had happened following a crash that doesn't permit proper closure is, IMHO, unreasonable expectations for anything other than the most simple apps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.