Sandboxie Cpu Usage

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ellison64, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I expected a little more cpu usage when using sandboxie ,but its currently using 20 to 30% more cpu when using it with firefox sandboxed.I also noticed that in task manager every few seconds theres a second instance of sandboxie service running.These two add up to around 20%+.Is that normal?.I do have outpost security suite and and spyshelter currently installed,but even with these protections shut down and exited,the cpu for sandboxie remains the same.

Attached Files:

2. Jarmo P

Jarmo P Registered Member

No that is not normal. I have never seen Sandboxie taking any CPU on my system.

I have not checked that usage very often so I can't be sure but I suspect in your case the process is having some problems with other, most likely security software.

I have 3 SbieSvc.exe processes running. 2 are on the (limited) user account and the one is the NT system thing.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  3. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Ellison, my Sandboxie CPU usage is always 0%. The second SbieSvc is normal.

Bo

4. Jarmo P

Sandboxie can possibly and even most likely have compatibility problems with Outpost since it also have hips. I don't know any about Spyshelter.

Do you experience any slowing in Windows bootup time after installing Sandboxie? Also does the sandbox initialization take time? Something like 5 seconds is normal and it could take longer if you have an older computer. I think in my 2 year old computer it takes 3-4 seconds.

Before settling myself to just Windows firewall, I was using Comodo that worked, but slowed down those 2 things. I did not check out if SBIE had any CPU usage though. Turning all the Comodo features on finally cause a BSOD.

Then I tried Online Armor and also slowing down those things and at some point the system froze. Needed to use the power button.

Then I tried Zone Alarm, and I think it slowed down those too, but no BSOD or a system freeze. I just did not like it very much.

If it is possible to save Outpost configuration as I think it is, you could uninstall it since even having the driver installed can cause problems. Same goes for Spyshelter. I have not used those 2 programs, these are just general my general advices based on the experiences with the above hips firewalls.

5. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

sandboxie service can not run twice on your system - second may be malware!
    (this is not like svchost for starting services - this one is really unique present):rolleyes:

6. bo elam

Hi Brummelchen, I think Ellison was wondering if two instances of SbieSvc showing up in task manager is normal. I think it is.

Bo

Attached Files:

7. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

no doubt about your information, but i never had it twice here. but i have no clue why a service should run twice - elevated process from LUA? cant be.

i am using sysinternals process explorer (windows tm also) only show up one instance. no other security suite present.

BTW i am still using latest v3 (on xp and win7), your's is v4? cant talk about it while not working on win8.

8. bo elam

I never saw this on V3. I only seen it in V4, in both XP and W7 (32 bits). By the way, I installed version 4 free version, for browsing only, in a few friends W8 computers and its doing good.:)

Bo

9. ellison64

Thanks for the info on sbie cpu usage.I will remove outpost and or spyshelter and see if that makes a difference.
    @Brummelchen
    The second instance of sbie service appears intermittently so it doesnt always appear when opening task manager.

10. bo elam

This is the SbieSvc behaviour that I see. After booting the computer, 1 SbieSvc shows up in task manager. After running an application sandboxed and closing it, one or more SbieSvc stays in task manager.

Bo

11. Jarmo P

I have never taken time before to check this much out. Seems yesterday I wrote I had 2 on the limited user account and one on the system.

Now I have one only on my limited running account and 2 on the system level. Perhaps I made a mistake and wrote it wrong yesterday. But yes as Bo told none running until starting the sandboxieing.

12. ellison64

Well ive uninstalled outpost and spyshelter ,tried a few other things ,however when firefox is running sandboxed the two sandboxie sbiesvc.exe are consuming at least 20% cpu between them.Checked both on my laptop and desktop,and its the same.Anyone else seeing this?.I checked using task manager and im using sbie 4.06 version.

EDIT
    Just been shutting down individual apps and checking task manager ,and its sticky password plugin for firefox thats causing the cpu problem for me.The compatability help for SP ive already followed but it doesnt help with practically doubling cpu usage.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  13. jima

jima Registered Member

I am currently running Firefox with Sandboxie 4.07 64 bit and am not seeing any cpu use at all as I type this.

14. ellison64

I probably edited my post before you replied :rolleyes: .Its sticky password plugin thats causing it for me.Ive found the cause but not a solution yet :eek:

15. ellison64

I have found a solution....reverted to 3.76 version.

16. Jarmo P

Sandboxie 3.76 always worked fine for me too.

Same time, I have not experienced any cpu usage on 4.xx versions either. on my system below in my signature. In my Firefox I only run addblock plus and Noscript extensions.

17. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Running Sandboxie 4.06 with zero CPU.
    2 instances of SbieSvc.exe running in Task Manager
    From what I've read this is normal.

18. ellison64

are you using sticky passwords extension with firefox?

19. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Nope, no Sticky Passwords installed.

20. ellison64

Just tried version 4 again on the off chance, and its still double the cpu usage of 3.76.Just why does version 4 have the two instances of SbieSvc running? (both consuming cpu cycles),whereas previous version had one?.Is there any official word on why this happens?.CPU is currently 0.7% using 3.76 version and 22% for version 4 o_O

21. bo elam

Ellison, your problem is probably due to a conflict. In my personal case, in two computers (XP/W7), Sandboxies CPU usage is always at 0%, regardless of what I am doing. As an example, if I open a Youtube page and watch a video, CPU % for Sandboxie is 0. I know I warned you about the possibility of a conflict with Spyshelter, if you are using it, that could be your problem.

Having more than one SbieSvc while using Sandboxie version 4 is normal. Look at my picture, I had three at the moment I took the picture. In my case, I know is due to having used IE10 before I went to Youtube using Firefox.

Bo

Attached Files:

22. ellison64

I uninstalled spyshelter a week or so ago.I'm just using OSS now.I agree there's probably a conflict,but if there is, its because something has changed between 3.76 and 4 versions.Again though I would like to know the reason for duplicate services.Your pic is showing 3 duplicates?.Perhaps that is causing the conflict on my system?

23. bo elam

Hi Ellison, the pic shows 3 because I used IE10 just a few minutes before I closed it and opened Firefox to view a video and grab the screen picture for you. I noticed in the past that Internet Explorer uses more instances of SbieSvc than Firefox, it is normal.

About the CPU usage. As far as I can remember, I have never seen Sandboxie processes take any CPU usage even if, for example, I have three or four dedicated sandboxes open at the same time.

Did you see this thread from November? there maybe a conflict with Outpost.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=16972&highlight=outpost

Bo

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  24. bo elam

25. ellison64

Thanks for taking the time to respond BO.I haven't seen that thread but my point is that there's no problem with 3.76 and OSS ,or sticky passwords firefox plugin.I determined that with sbie 4 there is a problem.I know you say that the extra processes are normal ,but it still doesn't answer my question as to why there is now more than 1 process?What is the reason for this?.I will however uninstall completley OSS and the sticky password plugin for better determination of version 4+

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.