Sandboxie, causes opera 10 to lock up with high cpu usage.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by chrome_sturmen, Sep 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Thought I'd try to get some thoughts on my present problem with opera and sandboxie:

I have online armor premium, outpost firewall paid, and sandboxie 3.8 paid. This configuration has been working fine for many months now (which has been nice, as i've been able to get some actual computing done, rather than having to constantly tinker with security apps).

Anyway today, I saw there was a new upgrade of online armor, and I decided to go ahead and install it, which went fine. Then I went ahead and checked my firewall, and there was an update for it, so I installed it - which went fine. Now after the upgrading was done, I went to open opera to do some browsing - but opera is locking up everytime with high cpu usage, the only thing that can be done once it's ran sandboxed, is to hard reboot, nothing else will terminate the program. I've hard rebooted about ten times today in pursuit of a resolution to this.

What I tried, was to uninstall both outpost and online armor, and try to isolate the problem. So I then slowly reinstalled each, then reinstalled, then finally reinstalled sandboxie - and this time it was working fine again - I figured maybe it was a quirk. Then a bit later,once again opera began locking up, requiring a hard reboot to terminate. Note that when I start opera unsandboxed, it opens just fine.

Anyone have any ideas as to what the problem could be? I usually don't run into a problem that stumps me, but i'm at a loss here.

I appreciate any thoughts.

Chrome

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi Chrome, In Sandbox Settings - Applications - Security/Privacy do you have Online Armor ticked?

Are all of your apps set to trusted in OA - Programs?

Have you tried running only OA without Outpost to see if it works ok with Sbie and Opera? If it does that might indicate a conflict between OA and Outpost.

You may also post on OA forums since this is a recent problem that may have to do with the new release.

OT: Also, I'm curious why your running both OA and Outpost?

3. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Been running Sandboxie and Opera 10, no high cpu issues.:thumb:

Must be something else on your pc:ninja:

4. chrome_sturmen

it seems, at least to some extent, that i've found the cause of the trouble. in the sandboxie config, if i untick "allow direct access to opera bookmarks" it opens fine in sandboxie, but if i choose to allow direct access to bookmarks, opera locks up and i have to do a hard reboot.

online armor and outpost firewall are uninstalled at this point,so it had nothing to do with either of them. i thought it may have been an error with opera's application data directory, because due to some opera upgrades awhile back opera took some preferences from one folder, some settings from another, etc - so i uninstalled opera, and started clean - but that did nothing to help, so i guess i just lost my opera config that ive had for two years, for no reason.

any thoughts? this is sandboxie 3.38

thanks

5. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Have you tried the latest beta? tzuk made some opera changes in 3.39.18

6. chrome_sturmen

thanks for the advice scoob - i gave that a shot, but installing the beta didnt help-same deal.

just now, i booted over to one of my auxiliary snapshots, upgraded sandboxie to the latest beta, and updated opera to 10 - and on this snapshot, it works just fine, no errors. so, i guess there is no conflict between the programs, maybe it was just one of those very many quirks that can occur on a system. i guess i'll have to ditch my main snapshot and revert to an earlier one, and work back up from there.

thanks again to everyone:cautious:

7. chrome_sturmen

looks like i spoke too soon - now the problem is appearing on my auxiliary snapshot, as well. it looks like its a problem between opera and sandboxie. so i guess i lost my online armor config, my outpost config, and my opera config,for nothin :thumbd:

8. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Did you try going back to Opera 9.64. BTW I use Sandboxie 3.38 Opera 10 With no problem

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.