Sandboxie can't find browser

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Long View, Dec 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Not got off to a good start with Sandboxie. Can't find default browser - which is Firefox. I could use Sandboxie with Explorer but had intended to continue to use
    Firefox. By messing around I managed to locate Firefox for Sandboxie but then Roboform when launched simply used the non Sandoxed Firefox. is there anyway to get everything that uses Firefox to used the Sandboxed version ?

2. Empath

Empath Registered Member

In the sandbox settings option, show firefox.exe as a forced program.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You may also have to force roboform into the sandbox. I think you may have to register it to be able to do that. Suggest posting on their forum so Tzuk can respond.

Pete

4. Long View

@Empath - will try to force it but I'm surprised that Firefox needs to be forced.
    @Peter - I have the registered version of Roboform so will also try to force

I think part of my problem is that I used an old machine. I would certainly expect Firefox to be picked up if I use a clean image ?

5. trjam

trjam Registered Member

stupid question maybe, in firefox under tools and general, you do have the default browser box checked.

6. Peter2150

I failed to communicate. I meant the registered version of Sandboxie.

7. Long View

No Peter - communication requires a sender and a recipient. I could just as easily claim to have failed to have understood.:p

Anyway -

I downloaded from http://windowsxp.mvps.org/defaultbrowser.htm
    and this got Firefox going.

Then I added

OpenFilePath=F:\Documents and Settings\long view\My Documents\My RoboForm Data
    OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects\{45DB34C3-955C-11D3-ABEF-444553540000}*

to the sandboxie.ini

and changed the Roboform login browswer from default to
    C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe

I'm assuming that having [#].......... [#] at the top of the page means that I am running Firefox or Roboform in a Sandbox ?

any simple way to test this ?

Now I need to isolate My docs without stopping Roboform. I think the easiest way will be to move Roboform data to another drive and just not allow access to my data drive ?

Am doing all this with Returnil protection on so no matter what mistakes I make they will be gone soon.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  8. Peter2150

way to test is download something to the desktop. Close the browser. You should not see the file on the desktop. Then using either quick recovery or delete, which will also bring up quick recovery, you should be able to transfer the file to the real desktop.

Also you right, you could move roboform, and then protect my docs's.

Pete

9. Long View

sorry trjam - missed this earlier - yes under tools/options/main firefox is the default

10. Long View

Thanks pete - yes I have downloaded a few files and they haven't gone to the desktop.

The only small issue is that on this old machine it takes a couple of seconds extra to launch Firefox or Roboform. Nothing I can't live with but I will probably only use it on newer machines.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

That's a normal behaviour (Sandboxie is creating the container)

12. Long View

Thanks for the confirmation. I'm sure that a read somewhere that this minor extra delay is because of the time taken to set up the sandbox. In any event when I said "the only small issue" it was said in the same way that I might comment on the orders and instructions that I receive from "she who must be obeyed". In both cases it is normal and comes with the territory:'(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.