Sandboxie and partition table

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by lunarlander, Oct 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lunarlander

lunarlander Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering if Sandboxie can stop an attacker from attacking one's partition table.

2. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Huh. As the partition table is outside of the OS, I can't imagine how sandboxie specifically could control it at all.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

From the testing I did a while back I would suspect it does. I tested with software that attacked the MBR and running it thru Sandboxie it couldn't touch the MBR, so I suspect the partition table was also intact.

Pete

4. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

Straight from the horse's (tzuk's) mouth - when asked (in the Sandboxie Forums): will any and all attempts by malicious software to write to the MBR/Partition Table/Boot Sector also end up in the sandbox?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  5. BrandiCandi

BrandiCandi Guest

Oh derp. I was thinking you wanted to sandbox the partition table. Yeah, Sandboxie would prevent a program running inside of it from writing to the partition table or anywhere else that you don't specifically allow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.