Sandboxie and Firefox

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Fox Mulder, Jul 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

Hi everyone. I've been trying to make Sandboxie play nice with Firefox but I'm having some issues.

I added firefox.exe to the forced programs list, as well as plugin-container.exe, and my flash player executable. I also checked off the recommended sandboxie options for running Firefox.

The problem is that when I load a flash video, it's often very slow to load and freezes the browser for up to 10 seconds. Sometimes when the flash video loads, I get the following error:

I can click OK, reload the page, and the video works fine.

Anyone have any insights into this?

2. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

I had the same problem with the latest flash player 11.3 , reverting back to 11.2 solved that problem.
    In any case, it has nothing to do with Sandboxie.

btw you don't need to add plugin-container.exe and flash player executable to the forced programs, they will run sandboxed anyway if you force just firefox.

3. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

The latest versions of Adobe Flash Player (11.3.300.265 and before 11.3.300.257) are not fully compatible with Sandboxie. As far as I understand it has to do with the fact that the new Flash Player versions use by default an own sandbox ("Protected Mode").

My solution:
    I deactived the Flash-Player-Sandbox as decribed here:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1018071?tstart=0

See the last part:

Since I have done "ProtectedMode=0" the Flash Player works fine again within Sandboxie. :thumb:

4. pabrate

pabrate Registered Member

Nice find Peter :thumb:

Well, indeed, there's no need to have ProtectedMode in flash player enabled if Sandboxie is used :)

I think I'll upgrade the flash player and try it out with ProtectedMode disabled.

Edit : Just did that and it works like a charm :thumb:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012
  5. Peter 123

Good to hear that it works for you too. Thanks for your feedback.

6. Fox Mulder

Fox Mulder Registered Member

It worked for me too. Thanks Peter!

7. Peter 123

:thumb: You are welcome, Fox Mulder.

8. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Had some crashes with the newest version of flash player, so I tried disabling its built in Protected Mode, but it seems no working for me. The flash player still crashes when I go watching videos on Youtube.

9. Peter 123

It happened to me too (even with older versions of the Flash player).
    I had to add the plugin-container.exe (= part of Firefox) to the programs which are allowed to start within the sandbox. Since this time I had no more crashes.

(In the latest versions of the Flash Player of course in combination with disabling the Protected Mode as described above.)

10. operamail

operamail Registered Member

Did you use EMET, which seems to be the problem for me? I had EMET installed when the crashes happened. No more crashes since I removed EMET from my system.

11. Peter 123

No, I did not use EMET.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.