Sandboxie and eset 4?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by securreten, May 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. securreten

securreten Registered Member

What are your experiences with using eset 4 and sandboxie at the same time? Is eset 4 able to scan inside the sandbox in real time and alert you if you catch smth? I think I've had some issues while I was using sandboxie 3.38, some things that eset would flag outside of sandbox it would not flag if they were inside. But these may have been unwanted programs not viruses, months ago.

Do these two work together well? How can I test if eset 4 works in the sandbox? Been using this combo for few months and I haven't been alerted by eset yet but It may just be prudent surfing.

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Yes, it does work. To test - like, download Eicar in sandboxed browser? :p

3. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

If I understand how Sandboxie works correctly, every anti-virus should detect a baddie inside of Sandboxie. Sandboxie keeps things from going out, not from coming in, and your anti-virus will see Sandboxie simply as another file needing scanned.

Acadia

4. securreten

Tnx. Another issue, scanning on demand doesnt seem to work in a sandboxed window? Example I download file in sandboxed desktop then try to scan it with eset but I always get 0 files scanned, it cant scan it. Guess this is what lead me to suspect smth is wrong.

5. doktornotor

That indeed doesn't work very well with most AVs out there. Just browser normally to the sandboxed folder and scan there. Not from sandboxed Explorer or whatever.

6. securreten

tnx. So just going to d/sandbox or wherever the sandbox is and scan it should work? If eset is installed it does realtime scan as files are written in the sandbox right? So the extra scan on demand would be bit security on top of it but not really needed?

7. doktornotor

Yes it's already scanned so scanning it again is just redundant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.