Sandboxie and Avast question

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by IceCube1010, Apr 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

For all you Sandboxie and Avast users out there:

If I'm using Sandboxie for my browser, do I need the Web Shield and Network Shield of Avast or is this overkill? I currently use the Standard Shield on high only.

thanks
    Al

2. TrojanHunter

TrojanHunter Registered Member

Sandboxie and Avasts Standard shield will give you a decent amount of protection, so I would sugest disabling the Web shield.

3. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

I agree.Your web browser will be practically inpenetrable running sandboxed and you have the P2P and IM shields if you're using those simultaneously.

4. IceCube1010

thanks for the replies. That's what I figured. I am also using Prevx Edge (trial) as a notifier of sorts. They all run light and give a good amount of protection.

Ice

5. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

IceCube, you won't need the web shield running with sandboxie, however if you want to know if specific sites you visit are problem sites, it's easy enough to turn back on.

6. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Agreed, standard shield won't prevent the drive-by's and such. Web shield will. Though if you're also using Edge you may indeed not need the web shield. At the end of the day it's extra power added to your setup.

7. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Honestly I was using for years Avira free that had no web shield and I was not using sandboxed browser. Never got an infection using firefox. Maybe it was just luck. In any case if you always use a sandboxed browser you don't need any kind of shield.

8. IceCube1010

Good point. That was my reasoning but thought I'd ask the crowd over here. I'm using OA Free 3.5 with Avast Home (standard shield high) and sandboxie. They all work like a charm.

thanks for the replies,
    Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.