Sandboxie Alternative?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by TheMozart, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

I installed Sandboxie and within 10 minutes of using it and visiting some legal adult websites, I began getting a "com surrogate has stopped working" error message whenever I tried opening a folder which contains video files and graphic files. This error continued even after cleaning out the Sandboxie and shutting down Windows and rebooting, I know it's related to Sandboxie because I have never visited those websites before and never used Sandboxie before.

So I had to completely restore an older image windows to get rid off the error message. I will never use Sandboxie again, that's for sure. Something definitely "jumped out" of Sandboxie and tampered with my codecs and goodness knows what else.

So is there an FREE alternative to sandboxie that actually works?:blink:

BTW, I am running Windows Vista.

2. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

Did you ever come across this non-Sandboxie related but not-up-to-date mediaplayer/codecs related 'How-to-geek' page? link
    On the 'Com surrogate has stopped working' Vista error message;
    "If you’ve been getting the error COM Surrogate has stopped working whenever you browse folders containing video or media files, you have come to a good place for some possible solutions. This problem is caused because of codecs and other COM components installed by various softwares that aren’t fully Vista-compatible, like some versions of DivX or Nero."

No need to uninstall Sandboxie, no need to search for an alternative, no need to re-image.
    I'd dare to say nothing 'jumped out of' Sandboxie. Just update your video/mediaplayer codecs. That's probably it.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Yes I did read that link.. but I do not have Nero installed, nor do I have DivX installed...and I never got the "Com surrogate has stopped working" error message before I installed Sandboxie, and since I restored an older Vista Image, I no longer get the "Com surrogate has stopped working" error message...so it's definitely related to something Sandboxie did or allowed to edit in my Vista system.

And I don't need to update my video/mediaplayer codecs because my system runs fine as is and I never have a problem before I ran Sandboxie.

Now may I ask you to get back onto TOPIC... I am not seeking advice about Sandboxie which I personally know started giving me this "Com surrogate has stopped working" error messages... I am seeking an Sandboxie ALTERNATIVE. Do you know of any free ones?

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

This has NOTHING to do with sandboxie,as Baserk tried to tell you. The cause of this error message is due to the fact that you are using a software to watch videos,on a adult website no less, which has not been updated or it is not compatible with Windows Vista,period.

5. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

OK but are you sure that the file formats of the adult stuff you downloaded, can be played with your current mediaplayer/codecs?

And 'back on topic', no there's no free alternative for Sandboxie. Sandboxie is unique.
    Also, now I remember again why I usually skip your questions.
    It's your blasé 'I already know everything so spare me any reply which might be usefull but I do want you to answer my questions'-style.
    As you'll understand, you'll have to do with this post. Perhaps you're a child-genius behind a piano but you are somewhat of a child-***** behind a computer. Bye.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

INCORRECT! I never tried to watch a video on any website at all.

This problem began when I tried to open a folder on my hard drive which contains videos and JPG files.

It's when I try to open the folder I get the error message.

So Sandboxie allowed some website to affect my whole system!

NOT HAPPY!:mad:

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Since you've never visited those websites before, how do you know it's related to Sandboxie? Try again without Sandboxie then. Seriously, something is wrong with your logic.

8. Sully

Sully Registered Member

There are 2 possibilities in your statements.

1. it is as you say, and either an exploit has succeeded in escaping SBIE, or you have discovered a bug which might allow such things to happen.

2. it is not as you say (or rather, as you think it is) and there is another reason. What the reason is, one would have to track down.

To my knowledge, I have never seen a public statement of what you describe. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that one should think it would be common knowledge and that as active as the author is, it would have been fixed. If it is a bug, you should submit it to the SBIE website so it can be patched.

My money lies on something other than SBIE, but who knows for sure until it can be recreated. The statement that SBIE allowed something to effect your whole system, without you having done something that is not typical/default, is actually a pretty large statement. Strike that, not pretty large, more like cataclysmic. I don't know how many people use SBIE, but for those that do, the ability for something to escape to the real system and bork it is a really big deal.

Sul.

9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Allthough knowing the reputation of solidness of SBIE, you would be unlickely unlucky to be the one who encountered a failure of SBIE. When you are on x32 bit, you could try Bufferzone Pro (now free)

10. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

It's going to be difficult for anybody to answer that question, because you start from the assumption that Sandboxie doesn't work. Most or all Wilders members familiar with Sandboxie would take the view that the problems you saw that lead you to take the stance that it doesn't work, are nothing related to Sandboxie.

So..rephrasing your question "is there a FREE alternative to Sandboxie that won't give me the COM surrogate error?" Answer: probably not, because the error is unlikely to be anything to do with Sandboxie.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.