Sandboxie 3.3, seems incompatible with defensewall 2.45, OA 3.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by chrome_sturmen, Oct 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

I've been doing some testing today, and it appears that when I install defensewall 2.45, sandboxie driver fails to load. Also tried out online armor 3, wherein the same error occured with sandboxie (seperate installs)

Can these incompatabilities be objectively agreed upon to exist?

TIA,

Chrome

(and sorry that this wasn't a treatise into whether or not prevx is good)

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just installed the latest sandboxie alongside latest defensewall and had no problems. Did you remember run the sandboxie installer as trusted? If not then defensewall will block the sandboxie driver from installing.

3. chrome_sturmen

checked dw's untrusted process list, sandboxie didn't show up, so i figured all was ok in that respect. added sandboxie to dw's defense excludes, rebooted, same issue :cautious: :cautious:

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I normally right click on the installer and click change status to trusted, i don't know if thats exactly the same as excluding it.
    I also went ahead and installed the trial version of online armor 3 alongside defensewall and sandboxie. While it did add a significant delay to my startup it all seems to be running fine.
    It seems as if something is blocking all driver installs on your system, maybe defensewall has malfunctioned? You could try uninstalling it then try installing sandboxie and online armor and see what happens.

5. chrome_sturmen

in each seperate case, both defensewall and online armor installed fine, but in both cases it was sandboxie that failed to load its driver - are you using the newest beta sandboxie?:blink: :blink:

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

With Sandboxie uninstalled go to Device Manager - View - show hidden devices - Non-Plug and Play Drivers and uninstall Sandboxie's driver (SbieDrv) from there, reboot and try a reinstall marked as trusted.

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

Not to "defense excludes", but remove it from the "untrusted applications" list or use "change status to trusted"/"run as trusted". It's all described into the help file.

8. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

No problems with latest beta's of both OA and Sanboxie here.

Pete

9. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

So we can sandbox DefenseWall, to isolate Virtualbox with OpenBSD, at last? :D

10. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

LoooL
    thank god... at last..
    That should work
    :shifty: Dont forget the tin hat...I've got a spare here some where...:D

11. illicit

illicit Registered Member

I've had no issues running the 3 together.

12. chrome_sturmen

upgrading to the latest beta version of sandboxie resolved all issues - thanks gents for the advices:thumb:

13. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Hey guys/gals,

Is sandboxie even necessary as you can use OA to run a program in safer mode which 'hopefully' prevents that app from affecting windows in a malicous way. What is your opinion?

14. Peter2150

I have OA, and Run Safer catches a lot, but it doesn't delete it aftewards. I like having it gone. Plus if the malware doesn't require admin system level, then run safer won't help, but sandboxie does. Testing against one piece of malware that uses extortion by encrypting all the data types on the disk drive, if it got to run Sandboxie was the only thing that stopped it.

Pete

15. apathy

apathy Registered Member

Thanks for the info,

I may have to add one more piece of software to my existing setup.

Edit: After installing Sandboxie it looks like it completely bypasses Online Armor and when I run apps through it I no longer get any messages or questions about how I should run this program.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2008
  16. Peter2150

When running sandboxied you won't get active X alerts from OA. My feeling is so what. They can't harm the system and are deleted when you empty the sandbox.

Sandboxie blocks whatever is used for the green border in OA, but any run Safer program is still running at lower rights.

Note you can really tighten things up with Sandboxie. For example, you can set sandboxes so only the specified program can a) access the internet, and b) is the only program that can run in the sandbox. (True in the paid version, not sure what does or doesn't work in the unregistered version.)

Pete

17. aieie

aieie Registered Member

Last version of Sandboxie and OA3 firewall (licensed version) working without any problem together on XP here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.