SandboxIE 1.5

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by MikeyBikey, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeyBikey

MikeyBikey Registered Member

Hello All,
    I've been using 'SandboxIE' for about a week and AFAICT it does exactly what's claimed for it. There doesn't seem to be much interest in it at Wilders' forums (or indeed at the SandboxIE forum!!) and i'm wondering if this means it is in some way bogus and i should steer clear. Any experiences/opinions?

2. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

Did a little searching, seems to be harmless and sounds like an interesting tool

Jimbob

3. Ga1tar

Ga1tar Registered Member

Looks ok, but the idea of having yet another toolbar installed leaves me a little cold.

4. Xervius49

Xervius49 Guest

Links are nice for us lazy folks and those who forget how to Google. :D

5. xervius49

xervius49 Guest

6. MGD

MGD Registered Member

I'll test it today.........

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Read this thread and decided to test. It is a neat little extra protection. You can work as normal, but stuff is set aside as advertised. If I download a picture(jpg file) and tell it to store it on my external I:\ drive, it doesn't actually do there, but goes into a special folder that sandboxie uses, and then deletes. You can actually find the files and rescue one if you so chose.

Note: You don't need to install the toolbar. I think this may be a keeper.

Pete

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Do you really need to use IE?

9. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

10. Peter2150

Yes. I have a major application(Intuit Quickbooks) that uses IE as an integral part of it's display system. Also as an aside I've looked at other browsers and I just like IE.

So I've buttoned it down, use it, and haven't had any problems. Sandboxie, just adds another layer to what I already have.

Pete

PS Yes I know I could change accounting software, but the time and effort to do that just to avoid IE wouldn't make sense.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

But why haven't other security companies adopted this SandboxIE idea? It sounds really cool, but does it really protect against spyware and maybe even trojans? Or is it more for people who want to protect their privacy in an easy way. o_O

12. Peter2150

Little additional feedback. I had to uninstall Sandboxie. Had a problem in that Perfect Disk couldn't do an off line defrag. System hung when trying. Traced it to Sandboxie, so i uninstalled.

Pete

13. pjotr

pjotr Guest

maybe you'd like to have a look at
    http://www.google-watch.org/cgi-bin/cookie.htm
    and the similar pages on that site; chances are that you're not so happy with google anymore...

14. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@Peter2150

I lost this thread.
    I nderstand the situation with the accounting software!!

I have just used Ghost for the first time, mainly because I couldn't bear the thought of re-loading and resetting my office management software.

Gone well so far

Regards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.