Sandbox, Virtualization, and Lockdown Technology

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Rmus, Sep 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

gergy, thanks. I have one more choice now:)

No need to be in a hurry to buy/install SU at all. As time goes by, SU will be more mature, as well as other choices. I tried SU a couple of days. It seemed fine. However, I tried some software installation in ShadowMode yesterday, and I found some traces of the installation left after reboot. It means that my disk was not protected as expected. I still have not figured out what is the problem yet.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

If you ever find out, let us know and report this to ShadowStor, otherwise it will never be fixed.
    What works fine, doesn't really interest me, but when something goes wrong, I'm all ears. :)

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

I hope it was indeed reported to Shadowstor...anything that slips through needs to be looked at :)

4. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

I tried the installation today again. No trace is found after reboot now. So no worry any more:)

I had the option "Continue ShadowMode session after reboot" checked yesterday. That might be the problem, but I am not so sure yet.

Hate to do such beta testing/debugging like things. As far as it works now, I am fine with it:D

5. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

That would explain it.

6. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If I were you i would double check. That's not supposed to happen. When I first installed SU, I had Kasperky 5 personal running, and had the opposite problem that is the trial program would disappear after a 'persistent reboot'.

Then I noticed that whenever i put my comp on standby mode i would instantly get a blue screen. The Shadowstor people said there was a known conflict with older versions of Kaspersky 5. Installing NOD 32 solved my problem.

I don't know what AV you are running but i would ask ShadowStor if they know of any problems running SU and Tiny firewall.

7. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Osaban-

Thanks for your suggestion! Yeah, it is quite possible that Tiny Firewall has some effect on SU, and most likely some rules I made in Tiny. I will let SU and TF run together a couple of days and see how things go. I use KAV 5.0 too. But I have disabled the Stand by mode of my computer for some other reasons. So I did not get problem with SU.

I am still not quite sure about what the 'persistent reboot' means. To my understanding, when SU is in the 'persistent reboot' mode, the ShadowCache would not be wiped out at each reboot and would continue to be used after the reboot. If this is the case, what happened would likely be my bad, as I thought what I found was saved on the hard disk instead of ShadowCache.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2005
  8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Yes you are. Basically 'persistent' means the shadow mode session continues after rebooting without any loss of new data (very important when trialling programs requiring a reboot).

9. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Thanks, Osaban. I was confused about it. I love SU more now:)

10. ErikAlbert

I thought exactly the same way and I would certainly not spend money on any AV/AS/AT/AK scanners, because I don't believe in that type of protection and these scanners have already serious problems and these problems will only INCREASE in the future.
    I'm not guessing, the facts are there and it's predictable that it will become even worse in the future and I don't like to wait that long.
    Besides that, the actual problems of scanners are causing another number of problems for the users, which is a very logical.
    When something doesn't work very well, other problems will arise, it's a kind of chain reaction.
    It's not only a matter of computer softwares, it's also about what happens afterwards and most computer people, don't even think or know about this, because their job is done.

SU has so many important advantages for me and I can't find any of them in the traditional softwares.
    So I have no other choice than buying SU, because it isn't freeware, I want my freedom back and there is nothing better than sandbox softwares at this moment with the SAME important advantages.
    Toploader, I'm not trying to sell SU to you, I'm only trying to make you think about this more thoroughly and to give you a picture of the actual problems and the near future.
    If you like the freewares, no one will stop you from using them.

I have a few other reasons :
    1. I never work for myself only, I have the indifferent user in mind when I try to find security solutions.
    You won't find these users at Wilders, but my work environment is full of them.
    These users earn money for the company and anything that keeps them away of doing their real job, irritates/angers them and malware and yes even anti-malware is certainly one of them. Anti-Malwares aren't quiet enough.
    Each time something serious happens in one of our internet-connected computers our computer department is always the scapegoat, even when the user is guilty and these users won't stop blaming us, until the problem is fixed and they don't show any patience.
    SU might fix our problems with these users. I'm not sure yet, because I'm not familiar with SU.

2. Our computer department doesn't know what userfriendliness really means, they still think that userfriendliness is nothing but a well-designed user interface. This was true in the past, but not anymore because most recent computer softwares do have a userfriendly interface, not always brilliant but good enough.
    If one of our computer people will try to install a software like ProcessGuard on our pc's, I will stop them, because I know in advance that these users will hate ProcessGuard, no matter how good ProcessGuard is.
    That's why I try to learn as much as possible at Wilders to stop our computer people from installing the wrong security softwares.
    If I like SU, many other users will like it too, because I think like them.

3. There are enough members at Wilders, who really use SU in practice and they know alot more about malware than me.
    If I don't understand something about SU, I can ask questions and Wilders has some very good posts about SU.
    These members explain SU much better than the website/SU-help of ShadowStor.
    ShadowStor doesn't know how to approach less-knowledgeable users and I had more questions than answers after reading their website and SU-help, but most of my questions were answered by the members of Wilders.
    For the record : this isn't bootlicking. I'm not like that and one day, when I'm very familiar with SU, ShadowStor will receive a polite email from me with my opinion about their website and SU-help.
    I don't care what ShadowStor will think about my opinion, I'm used to be ignored.
    As long I can do what I like at work/home, I'm happy. :cool:

11. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Lol, Erik I think that one day, when you send ShadowStor that email, they'll think "F**K, never knew our website had that much wrong with it" :D

By the way, I agree with you...their website really doesn't do a good job of explaining SU.

12. ErikAlbert

I'm glad, you saw it too. That makes two of us. :cool:

13. yahoo

yahoo Registered Member

Count me in too:D

They listed the most frequently asked questions there. But when I cliked on the links, there is no answer displayed! I tried it on my own computer, and also some public computers. All the same.

Their user manual is funny, the first one-third of the manual is almost totally useless.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2005
  14. ErikAlbert

Jesus Christ, they changed their website completely and it's even worse.
    I had to search for the FAQ and when I finally found it, I got nothing but blank screens with a search box.

So I searched with "ShadowMode" and I got a list of several FAQs.
    For instance :
    "15. How should I set up a public use computer with ShadowUser?
    Public Use Computer with Strong ShadowUser Protection Description: Computer is ava..."

As you can see the answer isn't complete. So I click on the question to see more and I get a blank screen again with a search box :D This help is a labyrinth. Pfffft

This web designer belongs in a strait-jacket. Take my word for it. :rolleyes:

15. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

DefenseWall HIPS 1.0

Search this forum for DefenseWall - try it - if it fails on some point - try there support - outstandning - bug was fixed within hours.

Its in beta now but due for release soon.

Now the program runs smoothly on my PC and together with OP it will be "my main man" for keeps.

Ran Regtest from the untrusted/box and Regtest failed its purpose 100%.

Best Regards

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  16. benton4

benton4 Registered Member

If anyone is looking for simplicity, I'd suggest First Defence-ISR. I have 4 snapshots, which is like 4 OS, that I can boot to in the event of a problem-blue screen of death, software incompatability, etc. It has saved me several times.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I agree about FDISR. Also I think Rollback RX will do everything that ShadowUser will do, without "persistent" confusion.

18. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I use both FD ISR and Rollback both do a great job - simple and effective

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.