Sandbox software of choice

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by singularity, Sep 1, 2015.

1. singularity

singularity Registered Member

I used to use Returnil QuietZone and it is time to renew. Then I am hearing good words about Shadow Defender in here.
    I am on Windows 10 x64
    Which one is the best and stable sandboxing software for Windows.. like restart to previous state..!

2. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I never knew a 64 bit version came out for Shadow Defender. I like Comodo's sandbox but Sandboxie is great as well. I would look on Youtube for reviews to see how each one preforms.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I also use Shadowdefender, as it can protect all my drives, as well as Sandboxie.

But I wouldn't look to youtube reviews for any help. Some of them are poor

Pete

4. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

Agreed with Pete, majority of the youtube testers have no idea what they are doing.

Returnil and shadowprotect work on drive level, they snapshot the state and revert any changes later with the possibility of exclusions. Another method is running particular software in an isolated interval which has limited/no access to the rest of the computer like Sandboxie or Comodo Sandbox. All of the mentioned software are good enough, which to choose depends on what you are doing.

5. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Rather surprised that this thread isn't locked as it appears to me to violate the Terms of Service in regards to "Which one is the best and stable sandboxing software for Windows.. like restart to previous state..!".

6. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I've been using Shadow Defender to test software lately and I quite like it. It is simple and reliable and the only slowdown is disk write time. I've been playing around with a light virtualization app called EnigmaVB that creates sandboxes around individual apps. Interesting in concept but it is pretty much still in beta and difficult to use and I haven't succeeded in creating a boxed app that doesn't seem to leak.

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Shadow Defender has far more features than Returnil QuietZone and the Shadow Defender license is lifetime, unlike Returnil which must be renewed annually. I use Shadow Defender myself and have never experienced any problems with it.

The only single benefit that QuietZone offers is tight integration with TOR, which is in any case unnecessary as TOR is free software that can be added separately to any setup. IMO Returnil went off the rails when they tried to add an antivirus. QuietZone is a dumbed down version of a once promising software that never reached its full potential. Had they concentrated on beefing up the anti-execute and folder restriction features in RVS instead and developing their multi-snapshot solution which could have allowed a virtual session to persist across restarts, they might have developed a world-class solution. As things stand, well ...

Sandboxie offers a different approach to either that is also excellent and which can be combined with Shadow Defender if desired. As Sandboxie operates at the file system level and Shadow Defender operates at the lower disk sector level, they won't conflict.

8. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Don't you think if there was an issue the Global Moderator that had posted above you would have said something?

9. singularity

Lifetime license for a particular major version or for updates as well as upgrades?
    I am looking for a system snapshot / global sandbox rather than app test sandbox. To install and try applications and then to restore to previous state.. with no changes whatsoever.
    Guess ShadowDefender is the one I am looking for?

10. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

Yes, it would do that at the disk level. I've got it set up to delete all changes to the system drive on reboot but I can still save data from the session to external storage.

11. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yes SD is what you are looking for.

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Lifetime license for ALL updates. You pay once, up front, and that's it.

ShadowDefender is good for software testing, subject to the caveat that, just like Returnil, it can't be used to test software that requires a reboot to install.

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I believe the TOS you are referring to only applies to antivirus products.

14. singularity

For that matter.. no sandbox app works for those require restart. Am i right?

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

AFAIK, Yes you are right.

16. phalanaxus

phalanaxus Registered Member

You can you use a virtual machine for those. (i.e. virtualbox)

17. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

/me uses sandboxie for the first attempt, if dont work i try shadow defender. both have excellent support, not too expensive. both for x64! (and ofc x86)

18. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

I understand now the TOS a little better. I thought it had simply been overlooked.

19. boredog

boredog Registered Member

I have used them all plus others and settled for Quietzone because it is the simplest to use and it does work at disk level plus if you don't remove your saved data to a usb or external hard drive all that is removed as well except for any exclusions.
    I actually like the integrated TOR Firefox browser. and there a new Beta out. Sounds like a few people here have tried Quietzone and didn't like it but others commenting have not I am afraid. They have updated the TOR browser in the new beta.
    I have never been because it is free it is better person.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  20. Quassar

Quassar Registered Member

if you want best isolaation and no lack with security best way is only full virtualization OS
    and here come Vmware Player/Wokrstation and Virtualbox

Becasue Sandboxe same as SD use still main system source so if you run keyloge and other bad things can spy you till you empty/clean isolation space.
    At last you can check Advanced option in Sandboxie which can improve and put restrictions read/write and control allowed process which can improve of this fact your security.

21. singularity

Thank you all for the great info and help :)

22. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Don't worry I wasn't aware of it either. I figured it was just a double standard that seemed to apply the rule only to AV products and nothing else.

*Deleted comment I think may have upset someone(s)*

Last edited: Sep 4, 2015
  23. boredog

boredog Registered Member

Quassar

I was one of the first people here to use VMware. I used the workstation version. Back then you couldn't find many player OS installs out there.
    I used Microsoft's too but cant remember the name. It was a workstation product as well. If you rebooted all was gone. I am not sure whay their new version is called.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.