Sandbox RX

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Atomas31, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

2. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi

Might be interesting, but for the majority its a waste of time. This is not a simple install and try product. Its an academic indulgence aimed at the few who have the time and knowledge to put the bits together and make a whole.

Why o why do these developers NOT understand what the market requireso_O!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

I subscribed today for beta test

4. Atomas31

keep us inform and if possible maybe you could post some screenshots :D

5. ViVek

ViVek Registered Member

" We will start the beta testing in the middle of April 2010."

6. Atomas31

Some new details ;)

Features and Benefits:

* PC users would always work in a safe "Sandbox" environment, thus not affecting their HOST computer

* PC's can save the Sandbox Rx file(s) and store them remotely

* Each Sandbox Rx file can be used on multiple (similar) PC's

* Sandbox RX is moving towards cloud computing solutions which is the future of PC management

Our vision of "cloud technology" with PC computing:

With Sandbox Rx techonlogy and as an example, users would eventually be able to use the same PC at work, update their Sandbox Rx file and upload it to a FTP server. Whent the user gets home, they would be able to download the Sandbox Rx file and work on the home PC with the same PC environment (files, folders, data, etc.) as their office PC.

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

it sounds cool idea;) but let's see how much memory this sucker takes:D

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

This website has Sandbox RX and apparently related/derived programs called Sandbox IE and Private Workplace as well.

http://privateworkplace.com/index.html

No mention of Horizon Datasys.

9. Atomas31

Thanks espresso!

The download mention eaz fix and the eula Horizon Datasys from what I could see it seems to be like a virtualisation software (host system and guests systems)... I didn't really understand how it works but what I seems to understand is that you create a virtual system of your actual system and you can switch from one system to another (even tought I didn't understand how to do this:oops:

It appears to be some what like virtual box and vm ware in term of the approach...

Hope some expert with those kind of software can give us more info ;)

10. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

I wonder more how this will hit our PC CPU and disk vice since it seems to ALWAYS run sandboxed... not just when we actually run something new and unknown.

11. ratwing

ratwing Guest

These fellers do not seem short on ambition.
    (thats good!!!)

12. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Well curiosity got the better of me so I took IE Sandbox for a quick spin on a VM.

I downloaded and installed this rogue (image 1):
    As expected system was compromised.
    Then I emptied the sandbox (image 2)
    Initial shock that the malware was still up and running,tried looking at the help file but it's only in Chinese at the moment.
    Then I re-booted the system and all trace of the rogue was gone.
    So my initial impression of this is it's a promising application.

Attached Files:

13. ratwing

ratwing Guest

andyman35:

thank you for the test.

Can you see the content of the sandbox,the way you can with Sandboxie?

In other words after you cleared the Sandbox,was there a way to see what files were still in it,prior to reboot?

Is the idea of this program like running both Returnil and Sandboxie?

Application virtualization,(empty to clean)inside system virtualization (reboot
    to return to last state)?

rat

14. andyman35

Ratwing:
    I couldn't even find the sandbox location on disk despite searching for it and unfortunately the user manual is in Chinese at the moment.There are no advanced settings beyond the screenshot I posted,it's basic but from a security standpoint nothing appears to break out from the malware I've thrown at it so far.

The full SandboxRX program looks to be a more granular product,I'll be taking a look at it over the weekend if work allows it.

*Edit* The sandbox seems to be in a proprietory format with a .fbdk extension within the program folder.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  15. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Can the SandboxRX or IE Sandbox be application specific or are they system wide?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  16. andyman35

Greg
    IESandbox only virtualizes IE whereas SandboxRX and Private workplace (which seems to be the same thing with an upgraded GUI) work on a systemwide level like Returnil.You can go in and out of virtual mode without a reboot though which is a plus.

17. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Thanks. I'm interested in a sandbox app specifically for IE. I did briefly try the SandboxRx and liked it even though I haven't a clue about it. My first sandbox attempt must have been system wide, it started up and my themed desktop went to Win 7 basic. I noticed the tray icon has an option for switching back and forth, tried it and it worked. I went to the program files folder > Internet Explorer, right clicked IE and selected Start Sandboxed. It too seemed to work well and without the basic GUI. If you test this SandboxRx, could you post back with any tips/help on how and what to do with it. I like it but as mentioned above, I'm clueless when it comes to the sandbox apps. Also, one thing I liked about SandboxRx was that I could select a USB drive for the sandbox/storage thingy. On my Win 7 partition, I'm short on space so that was a plus.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Anyone else tried this Sandbox Rx? As mentioned above, I don't know much about Sandbox type apps. Why does this SandboxRx disable IE protected mode? I assume it's not needed if the browser is run sandboxed but I don't know. Also, I'm proving my ignorance on this but here goes, why when launching IE in sandbox do I have to re-enter my passwords for forums that I am a member of?

19. kennyboy

kennyboy Registered Member

The "in and out of virtual mode without reboot" bit is intriguing. Could you elaborate more on this regarding committing changes etc. Does this mean that at last someone has cracked the problem of always having to reboot to discard changes to the system.
    If that is the case, surely it deserves to be classified as more than just sandbox software.
    Have I misunderstood something? (Quite likely)...:)

Anyway, have signed up to beta test, so will know more soon.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2010
  20. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Looks like they keep updating these. Anyone tried any of them lately?

21. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

22. andyman35

From what I can see there's no way to save anything to the 'real' system,everything is held within the encrypted sandbox.From a security perspective this seems to be a very powerful application.It'll be good to see an English help file for an in depth analysis though.:thumb:

*Edit* Actually it might be possible to mount the virtual drive in Windows if I remember the options correctly.I'll have to stick this back on over the weekend to have a look.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Look forward to more of your observations. I like the SandboxRx but without a help file for me it's pointless considering this Virtual stuff is uncharted waters for me.

24. andyman35

Well I tried this again in a VM and unlike last time I had a network drive connected.The good thing is that you can save files to another drive outside of the sandbox,I must say that I'm rather impressed by this software it's showing a lot of promise.I've included a couple of screens.

Attached Files:

25. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Andyman

last time I tried I could not play (flash) movies in the sanboxed browser, could please try?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.