Sandbox for 9x systems

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aegis, Jun 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aegis

aegis Registered Member

Hi,

Does anyone use a sandbox program, a virtual safe area for running unknown programs.

If so, are there any good ones for win 98 SE. Ive tried searching the net but didnt come across any for win9x systems.

I hope this is the right forum to post this in. :)

2. SDS909

SDS909 Registered Member

Time to upgrade to WindowsXP, I don't believe there are any good 98 Sandbox programs. That OS is just too old.

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

It is impossible to implement real sandbox protection for those OS because it is impossible to protect it's core from being modified (which mean malware may easy get ring0 access and break throught sandbox). Use Win2k/XP instead.

4. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Hi there,

Yes Ilya, there is no sandbox which does it, but there is Viguard HIPS (based on integrity), which has an option especially designed for protection of win 9x's core.

Regards

5. aegis

aegis Registered Member

Thanks BZ, checking out viguard now.

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

System Safety Monitor is another HIPS that runs very well on 98/ME. While not a sandbox per se, it does give you complete control over what executables and libraries applications are allowed to use. It also defends the registry. It does have a 60 day trial.
    Rick

7. Ilya Rabinovich

Sorry, but it doesn't matter if HIPS sandbox or not. From the technical point of view, it is impossible to prevent malware from get ring0 privileges and full system access. If Viguard claim it- they are liers! I've been developing Guardian Angel hardening program specially for 9x and I know what I'm talking about.

8. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

Ilya,

Anyway Viguard protects file system from modifications / destructions. Thanx to its integrity checker, any misbehaviour can be reversed, if not stopped anyway.

, yeah Ilya, you're right as usual. Tell me now, who will waste time to design such a malware for an almost dead OS...?

For aegis, SSM, Viguard, abtrusion protector, processguard are, IMO, very good choices and really sufficient (with a good firewall).

9. Ilya Rabinovich

Nobody, I clealy understand it. In fact, that is the only _real_ protection for those OS. And they are already dead- MS didn't want to make new critical-level patch for those OS.

10. Lucy

Lucy Registered Member

:cool: Balchoi spaciba za vcio as one would maybe say ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.