Sanbox Integration

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by Habakuck, Jul 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Habakuck

Habakuck Registered Member

Hi everybody.

I always run my FireFox sandboxed and did some settings to prevent malware from stealing account data and so on.
    In the default sandbox only FireFox is allowed to connect to the internet. FireFox is set as primary programm so all sandbox data is deleted if FireFox closes.

My question is how to implement prevx into that default sandbox?

kind regards

2. BrendanK.

BrendanK. Guest

Why would you want Prevx in your sandbox?

3. thathagat

thathagat Guest

i think he wants prevx to specifically scan the default sandbox contents...which prevx should be doing anyhow

4. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes, Prevx will scan any code trying to run from the sandbox (if that's what you mean :))

As for installing Prevx into a sandbox - that won't work (same with any security program/any program which requires a driver).

5. Habakuck

PrevX works fine in the sandbox so far.

If i try to execute the eicar.exe in the sandbox PrevX blocks the action.

But if i want to do a right klick scan on an item witch is stored in the sandbox i get an error reply.

6. PrevxHelp

Could you describe what error you're receiving?

7. Habakuck

Yes, of course. Sry.

The original error reply is gone: i allowed prevx to connect to the internet out of the sandbox. But it is not working fine anyway.

If i try to do a context menu scan windows asks if the file should be executed!

If i click "Yes" and allows to execute nothing happens. The file is not executed and it is not scanned.

It is no real problem but if it is possible to get prevx run in the sandbox it would be great.

8. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

There's been talk of a sandbox type feature in Prevx. The Help file mentions a Secure Browser component, which is not yet implemented.

How will this affect those who use Sandboxie or similar sandboxing software?

9. PrevxHelp

It will be fully compatible and transparent on top of Sandboxie/other sandboxes.

10. Dark Star 72

Dark Star 72 Registered Member

Am I understanding correctly that I will be able to use the Safe Browsing feature while I am also running in Sandboxie? My only fear was that to use Secure Browsing I would have to disable/remove Sandboxie so if they are compatible that will be brilliant :)

11. PrevxHelp

You'll be able to use both at the same time without needing to disable either :)

12. Habakuck

Very good! :)

13. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

A quick question on this subject: should Prevx be alerting on executables run in a sandbox? I ask because I've done a test with a known fraudulent application, but get no alert in the sandbox, but I do when application is outside of the sandbox.

14. PrevxHelp

I've now heard two different stories on this... some people say Sandboxie does let us see into the sandbox and block execution. It might be worth hearing some other stories from other users, I personally haven't used any product all that much to give an accurate response :doubt:

15. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

16. PrevxHelp

17. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

It may be a setting I need to utilise in Sandboxie to make this work. I'm still pretty new to this program, and have it set at its default.

Maybe ssj100 could advise seeing as he uses Sandboxie.

18. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Further to my posts about Prevx not alerting within Sandboxie, it looks like something has changed and it is doing it now. I haven't altered anything, but testing execution of the eircar test file produces the following result when I click on 'Run Sandboxed':

alerts.png

I presume this is the expected behaviour of both programs.

Not sure what has changed, but I did stop and restart protection in Prevx yesterday while testing something. I wouldn't have thought that made any difference, but there you go.

I'll monitor this to see if it remains the same.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.