Samurai = malware?

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by Gullible Jones, Jun 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is interesting. VirusTotal thinks it's adware:

~VirusTotal link removed. See our Policy.~

I've never gotten any popup ads from it, but I'm open to the possibility it may be infected with something. Has anyone seen it behaving oddly? Trying to send data through your firewall for instance?

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2009
  2. Windchild

Windchild Registered Member

I do not use Samurai, but I know one thing:

do NOT trust any single result of any virus scan by any AV product. In fact, just plain don't trust any signature-based anti-malware at all. Sometimes they get it right, sometimes they get it wrong. False positives happen, a lot.

In this case, it's likely a false positive. Adware is by definition software that displays ads in some manner. Typically, you would notice ads. And if you wouldn't, perhaps they're not too bad. ;) If you don't see any ads, then it's not very likely to be adware.

3. StevieO

StevieO Registered Member

I presume you're talking about this Samurai version 2.7 from http://turbotramp.fre3.com

If so, NO it's not Malware. I just downloaded it on your behalf and did a VT scan. Those few AV's that list it, apart the one that claims it's aTrojan o_O class it, generally, as potentially unwanted. This term is often used when Adware might be involved.

I tried Samurai several years ago and Never saw any Adware. I may run it later on with Returnil enabled and see what happens. I'll post back with anything dodgy.

4. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I turned Samurai inside out with such tools as driver studio and others not just the tests I did here at Wilders - there was no malware then.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
  5. arran

arran Registered Member

Samurai is NOT Malware.

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Perhaps some of the hardening is causing a detection.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.