Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 review - A surprise

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Mrkvonic, May 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

MODS: Please move if more appropriate in Services or HW section.

Something rather unusual today: A long, thorough review of Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet, covering specification, first boot configuration, look & feel, updates from Ice Cream Sandwich to Jelly Bean, privacy and security options and settings, on-device encryption, connectivity - Samba and over the Web sharing with Airdroid, multimedia playback - full HD video and MP3 music, applications, S Pen and related productivity technology, hand writing recongition and conversion to text, voice recongition, keyboard ergonomics, battery life, applications availability and default set, geeky stuff, overall impression, comparision to smartphones, future prospects, and more.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/samsung-galaxy-note-10-1-review.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Isn't this already an obsolete tablet and Google Nexus 10 already beats it!

Though, it is a funny review!

Best regards,

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

What's obsolete got to do with it?
    Mrk

4. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Good morning,
    My wife simply loves her Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. She carries it everywhere. She plays music on it, takes pictures with it, watches movies on it. She bought a pink hard-shell case from NewEgg (or was it Amazon :doubt: ) to protect it. I've had little chance to use it since we got it because she hogs it all the time...:D...which is fine with me.

Nice review, Mrk (as usual).

Regards,

Bob

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Handwriting recognition has come a long way since Apple's much vaunted Newton. Both hardware and software advances have made using a stylus with a tablet a pleasure rather than a pain.

As Mrkvonic knows, true tablets are not what people are buying - they're buying notablets - basically tablets than be converted into a laptop with a dockable keyboard. You're getting two devices instead of one.

The Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 looks like a nice device but all things considered, I'd rather have that notablet. Cheers!

6. roark37

roark37 Registered Member

Hi Mrk,

Enjoyed your review and really all your reviews but have a few questions; are you concerned with android security or maybe privacy is a better word or do you think those fears are overblown? I ask as I have read there is a lot of malware for android. But even apart from malware it seems many if not most apps require access to all sorts of information that is not really needed. For example I was going to download a free calculator app from Play store and of the requirements one was access to all internet history. From an app that did not even need the web to work. It seemed every app I looked at similar to this. Is there anyway to avoid these kinds privacy problems and are you concerned about them? I thought apps were supposed to be sandboxed so could not access anything from other apps but I am not sure. I thought Apple Ipad was that way but again not really sure. You mentioned in your review about security and privacy settings but could possibly post specific steps to achieve as much privacy as possible?

Also as a more general question does anyone know if there is major difference between the Note 10.1 and the Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 primarily in terms of speed?

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.