Same setup on multiple machines

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by hamlet, Sep 16, 2015.

1. hamlet

hamlet Registered Member

Hello. Do you all use different security setups on your various machines out of worry that if you have the same setup, then something can go wrong (malware, software malfunction) that will kill all your machines? For example, at the moment I have two Windows-based computers, a desktop and a laptop. I am running a version of F-Secure Internet Security on one and Avira Antivirus Pro on the other other. I have two lifetime MalwareBytes Pro subscriptions that I am only running on demand at the moment.

I really like the F-Secure product and I get it free from my my Internet service provider, but I am hesitant to run it on both machines. I am a safe surfer and really don't expect to have any trouble, but I have a slight worry that if something goes wrong with a product that I am running on both machines, then I will be totally knocked off line for some period of time. Does anyone else think this way or am I worried about something that is a non-issue? I have been known to worry about non-issues before. :)

I hate to keep paying for software if I can get something good like F-Secure but so far the above worry has kept me buying licenses for other quality products.

Also, my F-Secure is a branded version Charter Communications. It does seem to be the 2015 edition but some of the modules seem to be slightly behind the very latest ones in the product that you download directly from F-Secure.

2. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

I usually use different set ups on each machine just out of seeking diversity and seeing the various software in real-time. That's why I usually buy one computer licenses. So maybe I have a built in guard against getting wiped out by some attack across all machines.

3. Krusty

Krusty Registered Member

It's an interesting question.

I have been using the same security programs on both of my machines for years with the exception of short trials on one machine, but have just started using Windows Defender on my Win10 machine. I consider myself a low risk user so cross-contamination of my machines wasn't really a consideration, but I have read somewhere once before about the "don't put all your eggs in one basket" theory though. Perhaps it has merit, I don't know.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I run my same setup on all my machines. With a good setup I don't see any issue with it. If your set up is any good I don't see this as an issue.

5. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

I prefer diversity if it doesn't trouble much.

6. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It's impossible to run the same setup on all of my machines, they're all running different operating systems!

Even if I got another Windows machine, I doubt I will treasure it as much or expect it to carry the load of my complete setup. Nor do I believe I need that much security on a machine with different usage patterns.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.