same defrag question

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by blenderbender, Sep 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blenderbender

blenderbender Registered Member

defrag question

Hi... is there any reason NOT to defrag the drive that the image is written to?

thanks.... Gary

2. blenderbender

Maybe it was a dumb question as I got no responses... but the question remains. Is there any reason NOT to defrag the drive where the ATI image resides? The reason I ask is because I was defragging this drive and Defrag seemed to go into a very, very slow crawl.... which I ultimately terminated. Nothing else in on this drive but the ATI image. Was this unusual? Thanks again... Gary

3. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

No real reason NOT to do it. However, since the image file is probably large, it could take a LONG time to defrag. So I guess the question is: SHOULD you do it?
    If the image file is all that's on the drive and you only use it for B/Us, I'd say no.

4. dld

dld Registered Member

I would concur with the response given by TheWeaz. To me defragging is playing Russian Roulette. If something happens during the process (power interruption), you lose what you are defragging. For the few milliseconds gained in reading the drive, is it worth the risk?

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Re: defrag question

Hello Garry,

Unusual question and it's not quite clear whether you meant before or after the image is created. Nevertheless, I'm not aware of any reason why you shouldn't defrag the destination drive, either before or after creating the image. I have done both numerous times without ill effect.

Regards

6. blenderbender

thanks both.... maybe the question should have been.. is there any compelling reason to defrag this drive? I didn't knowand couldn't find an answer so felt it was worth the asking. Thanks again!

7. blenderbender

Re: defrag question

thanks... I meant after creating the image. Just wondered if there was a compelling reason to do or not to do a defrag.... Gary

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Registered Member

No risk if you use a proper defragger, nothing is lost. Fraggers like Norton are another story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.