Same AV/Malware solution for desktops and servers

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Richard Conram, May 1, 2019.

1. Richard Conram

Richard Conram Registered Member

First off, I am not asking for any comparison of any product. Only compatibility.

See my AV/MalWare products license is expiring and I am considering something else, mainly because I need a license for about 10 units and I was looking for something cheaper..

Turns out the one I use works as well for W10 as for WinServer. I am not a company I have a couple Windows Server Essentials for local storage and backup, a few desktops with W10 and a few laptops with the same. So far I have browsed some of the top selling solutions (according to review pages) and it seems none use the same software version for desktop and for server. Pricing varies quite a bit as well.

Suggestions?

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

How does free sound?

It should be noted Windows Defender, in spite of what some want us to believe, is a very capable anti-malware solution, it is free, is already in Windows 10, and is even free for small businesses up to 10 computers.

You did not say what version of Windows Server you have, but as seen here, Windows Server 2016 (and later versions) includes Windows Defender too. So the interface will be the same and there is hardly any learning curve.

Now regardless our primary scanner of choice, we should all have a secondary scanner for on-demand double-checking just to make sure our primary scanner, or we, the users and always weakest link in security didn't let something slip by. I generally recommend Malwarebytes for that.

For the record, I've been using Windows Defender on all our systems here since migrating to W10 in 2015, and it's sibling program, Microsoft Security Essentials before that when W7 came out in 2009 and have never been compromised. Just keep your OSs and security program(s) current and don't be "click-happy" on unsolicited downloads, links, popups, and attachments - the same necessary precautions we all must take regardless our primary scanners of choice.

3. Richard Conram

Richard Conram Registered Member

I will not dispute the arguments about Windows Defender, not needing any dedicated software at all, common sens and normal care about letting stuff in. They are all valid.
    However I have made this decision based, among other things, upon the fact that I am not handling my files alone, we are more people in the family and regardless of information and best intentions they will never be as careful as I am.

So software, yes please.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.