SafeSpace Beta

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tidyup, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi all.

I'd like to let you know about a new HIPS product which launched last Friday.

SafeSpace has been developed by Artificial Dynamics, and is currently under a Beta trial. The Beta itself can be found HERE (download.com).

SafeSpace is a sandbox technology which isolates internet applications in a virtual environment, protecting both your computer from malware infection, and also your private data from theft. It configures itself once installed, automatically adding protection to common internet applications and locking down your private data. For more information, please visit our website.

SafeSpace supports Windows XP SP2 and Vista 32-Bit editions. The installation also includes all the additional pre-requisite software it requires.

SafeSpace is a free product for personal use, and is the result of 3 years of development. I'd like to invite you all to try our software and feedback any comments you may have, using the beta feedback form.

Many thanks,

Kris.
    Artificial Dynamics.

2. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Strange, your site doesn't show up in my opera tab bar

Attached Files:

3. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

That's because the web page has a blank title. :D

4. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

How do you get into and out of the SafeSpace?

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

The address bar shows where I went to, but the opera tab bar shows it as blank.

6. Tunerz

Tunerz Registered Member

So it is somewhat nearly the same on how Sandboxie does its job a.k.a. simple procedures?

7. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Yeah it's similar to Sandboxie but a lot slicker, easier to configure what files/folders to give read only, totally blocked access etc.

It reminds me a lot of BufferZone actually, with the red border around virtualized apps and files.

Feature wise looks quite impressive.

8. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Of course the address bar shows where you where to. The url exists obviously.

Here's part of the source..

<title>

</title></head>
    <body>

As you can see the title of the page is blank. Normally Your tabs will display whatever it is titled e.g "Very lousy page".

With Firefox it tries to show the title of the web page, but if it does not exist it will display the url. In this respect Opera might be not as good since it doesn't fall back to the url if the title is blank or missing.

9. stoppit

stoppit Registered Member

Thanks for pointing this out. It will be fixed soon.

10. stoppit

Hi WilliamP.

Are you referring how you run applications inside and outside of SafeSpace?

Thanks.

Kris.

11. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

Three years of development and is now in beta?

12. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Hmm the "purge safespace" option only terminates processes running in safespace? It doesn't clear the virtualized files?

How do you do that?

13. stoppit

Hi Lusher.

Purge does remove all virtualized file and registry content. However, it doesn't remove files which you downloaded and stored in private areas - these files are highlighted with a red border (or a red SafeSpace logo on Vista).

This allows you to store downloaded files in any private folder without having to explicitly manage them any differently. SafeSpace ensures that whenever you open or view these files, they always open inside SafeSpace.

Thanks.

Kris.

14. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

Ah I see.

So if a program i run in spacezone creates a file in a area not marked virtualized (c:\program files etc by default) it will still remain even after purging?

Still Would be a nice feature to be able to remove even those files (which are marked in red borders), so one can go back to totally clean state..

15. stoppit

Many thanks for the feedback - a good suggestion.

16. WilliamP

My question should have been. Does it require re-boot to get in and out?

17. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

looks interesting (actually it sounds almost exactly like geswall except with the red borders around the program windows). i wonder how it would do against things like killdisk, keyloggers (for example, can programs running inside the safespace log keystrokes of programs running outside the safespace) and process terminators (can a program running inside safespace shutdown a program running outside safespace).

18. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

The initial installation requires a reboot, but after that, no further reboots are required for any of the features of SafeSpace (adding / removing application from SafeSpace control, purging, etc).

You can also change all configuration settings on the fly and they are applied instantly.

Hope this answers your question.

Kris.

19. WilliamP

Thank you for the reply. Right now I have Returnil which requires re-boot. I am interested to know if SafeSpace is as secure as Returnil.

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not sure yet about how it works exactly, but seems to be a better version of BufferZone, I like the fact that it runs quite smootly. But it isn´t like Sandboxie where you can easily install apps in the sandbox, it´s more like a realtime protection tool for the browser, but files downloaded will show up in the "real" file system, but still protected by SafeSpace, correct? :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  21. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

KillDisk
    SafeSpace blocks all IPC and kernel interaction with the system, through virtualization of IPC communications and by removing administrative rights from SafeSpace protected applications.

Because of this, I could not use KillDisk inside SafeSpace.

Of course, please let me know if you do find a way of enabling KillDisk functionality inside SafeSpace.

Keyloggers
    We have already added protection against several keylogging techniques, and we are continuing to research this area as an ongoing project. If you do find any products or methods which do manage to log keystrokes inside SafeSpace, please let us know either by posting here, or submitting it via our Beta Feedback Form

Process Termination
    As with keyloggers, we have already added protection against numerous process termination techniques, and we are actively investigating any others we find. Please let us know if you do find a technique which works in SafeSpace.

Thanks.

Kris.

22. combo

combo Registered Member

how about cpu usage ? :D

23. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

well curiosity got the best of me and i downloaded and gave this program a whirl. it looks very nice and runs smoothly on my laptop (1.8ghz amd processor with 512 megs of ram windows xp sp2). installation went through with zero problems and so far it seems glitch free.

after getting a feel for safespace i put it through some tests :

for testing i made sure the testing app was safely inside safespace and the target of the tests was outside safespace

test 1) http://www.diamondcs.com.au/freeutilities/apt.php
    advanced process termination test by diamondcs. safespace failed kill 6 only. it passed the others.

test 2)http://www.syssafety.com/leaktests.html
    simple keylogger test and simple process termination test by the makers of system safety monitor. i couldn't get either of these tests to run, i got a message back saying "access denied". so i don't know how safespace would fare against them.

test 3) martin's undetectable keylogger test - safespace passed easily. martin's was unable to log any alphanumeric keys.

test 4) http://www.trustware.co.il/TrojDemo.exe
    trojdemo.exe from the makers of bufferzone - it seems safespace failed this test. trojdemo was able to read the contents of mydocuments despite safespace's "no access" setting.

test 5) http://firewallleaktester.com/aklt.htm
    Anti-Keylogger Tester 1.0 - safespace passed all tests except the directx one.

test 6) http://ghostsecurity.com/registrytest/
    ghostsecurity's regtest, safespace passed both tests. no changes were made to the registry. BUT the second test was able to shutdown explorer when it was simulating a restart. can the safespace devs look into this and see if it's possible to stop programs/applications running inside safespace from shutting down explorer? so far geswall is the only sandboxing app that manages to stop this test from shutting explorer down.

edited to include results of ghostsecurity test.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2007
  24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Killdisk! Killdisk! I wonder how it will do!

A big download by the way!

25. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

It passes killdisk, as already mentioned. yes, I verified it too. Happy?

Why this obession with killdisko_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.