Safer surfing what kind of software to use.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Image, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Image

Image Registered Member

I have been using ShadowUser and i liked the idea of the virtual mode and having a for example My Documents free of SU mode when downloading something.

Now due to a complete reinstall and not forgetting the issue i had with constant rebooting (and not knowing how i solved that) i really want another similare kind of software, but despite reading so many topics that i ask you forummembers.

I currently run:
    ZoneAlarm Suitte
    NOD32
    Spysweeper
    Processguard

It's just knowing that i can surf where ever i want and just not being scared of anything after a reboot all is ok again.

Your advice please.

2. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I use Returnil, a similar product to SU I think. You still have to reboot to clear anything you picked up during surfing. If the reboot is bothering you, I don't think you can escape that with any of this type of program, you could try sandboxie, anything you pick up will be contained in the sandbox, and you simply have to empty that when finished, no reboot.

3. Image

Image Registered Member

No, the reboot is not the issue.

It's the q'n if i can keep my my doc's file open to download files in.

Or is this program only option to virtualize the whole c disk.

Can you tell what the ad/disadvantage is compared to SU.

Thanks for the reply :)

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Lately, I've been running a Linux live CD. If not that, I still have Blink on board and run Returnil.

5. tradetime

i am not familair with SU so do not know the differences, I can say that you cannot download to My Docs, however since Returnil resets all changes to c drive. However it does provide you with a virtual drive 'z' to which you can download, anything downloaded to the virtual drive will be there after reboot and can then be copied to your hdd. The virtual drive is setup during install and can be customised to the size you want, but only at install so if you use it give some thought to how much space you want in your virtual drive. This drive can be mounted and dismounted at will.

6. tradetime

7. Image

Image Registered Member

O.k. i think that will answers my q'ns.

It's possible to download files/pix whatever to the virtualdisk returnil creates and that's important.

I think it's just a diffirent approach like SU does as this allows files to be not included in the virtualdisk being created.

Thanks for the feedback everybody.

8. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

edit: nm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.