[SafeOnline suggestion] Stop adding websites automatically

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by m00nbl00d, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been playing with SafeOnline a little bit more, and it came to my attention a quite annoying feature, which is indirectly associated with adding web sites automatically to SafeOnline protection.

I wanted to copy text from a *.txt file to a sheet file, and I couldn't; I wanted to copy a link from a browser to one other browser, and I couldn't. I was wondering what was happening. It turns out SafeOnline was the culprit. As long as a protected website is open, SafeOnline won't let us copy and paste anywhere, even if from a *.txt file to sheet file.
    You can imagine the akward situation it is when there are dozens of websites that are automatically added to SafeOnline protection. You either remove them all, but then again, later on they will be back again, and again, and again...
    Or, you stop SafeOnline protection for a while.

Not two great scenarios. The way SafeOnline protects really needs to be re-thinked, to some extent. What it does, right now, is quite annoying.

Imagine someone wants to copy and paste some info to another location; not possible.
    At least, for what I could verify, with print screening, SafeOnline at least asks if one wishes to allow the action.

2. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Unless I've misunderstood you, I've been able to do just that with SOL enabled. I copied this website page address into Notepad and it was pasted with no problems.

I should add the entries in SOL are the default ones; none have been added auto.

I just tried going to an Amazon page and was still able to copy/paste the URL as above.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

If you could please send a scan log by clicking Tools - Save Scan results to report@prevxresearch.com, we will correct your copy/paste from there. SafeOnline prevents any untrusted program from accessing the clipboard while a browser is open and we can mark the software on your PC as trusted to circumvent this.

Thanks!

4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

How it can be that I can take a screenshot on https sites with the Vista in-built screen capture?

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

Because it's a trusted application?

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Sry but I am lost, what do you mean "trusted application"? I thought that it wouldn't be allowed to take a screen on all https sites because the security config is set on Max.

7. m00nbl00d

I'll do it in a bit. Meanwhile, it seems that it's only possible to copy and paste within the same browser session. For example, I'm in site A; I open a new tab and copy and paste a link there. This, I'm able to do.

8. PrevxHelp

Some applications are allowed to access the screen - it's possible that Vista's screen capture tool runs from within the OS and is therefore trusted, however, I couldn't say as I haven't used Vista. If you'd want me to take a look remotely, we can certainly set up a remote session if that would be easier!

9. m00nbl00d

I still haven't had the chance to perform a scan; been busy, but, I'll see if I do tomorrow.

Meanwhile, I was by a family member that SafeOnline prevents the user of Windows Live toolbar (new version).

I know that SafeOnline says that it may block addons, but would it possible to whitelist it?

By the way, maximum settings for SafeOnline. I forgot to mention it earlier.

-Edit-

And, taking the subject of thread I started with, would Prevx consider to allow the option to exclude certain websites (what ever we want) from being monitored?

10. PrevxHelp

Yes, in both cases, sending us a scan log will allow us to add the files to our whitelist :)

If you add protection or configure protection for a specific website and then change the configuration to Off by sliding the bar all the way to the left, it will disable monitoring for those websites.

11. m00nbl00d

I wasn't aware of that. Always learning something new! :)

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.