SafeOnline restricts *.xps files

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by pegas, Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hello Joe,

I downloaded the IE9 Beta Product Guide in a XPS format from http://www.beautyoftheweb.com/#/productguide (icon in bottom right corner). I run the downloaded file and got IE8 crash immediately (XPS files are opened in XPS viewer through IE). I repeated a few times but always got IE8 crash. So I was about to restart computer to see if it can be of any help but before reboot I tried to open the file again and it worked this time (all applications were closed just ready for reboot). So I was tracing a culprit and discovered that if any browser secured by SafeOnline (in my case Opera and IE) is running I can't open the XPS file. However when the browsers are closed or SafeOnline disabled the XPS file can be viewed without problem.

Technical info: IE8 fully patched, Opera 10.62, Prevx .199 RC, SafeOnline HTTP level on "High".

I am sending a scan log with a link to this thread.

Thx for your attention.
    pegas

EDIT: I created a *.xps file in Word 2007 to test it and it ended in IE crash again. So the problem is not down just to one file but generally all *.xps files are plagued.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Hello,
    I've whitelisted your log, although I'm not convinced that will fix it in this case. Could you try disabling SafeOnline completely and restarting your browser if it doesn't to see if it is SafeOnline or P30 which is interfering?

Thanks! :)

3. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Hi,
    It is SafeOnline definitely who interferes because with disabled SafeOnline (but P30 running) and opened browsers I can open xps files. However once SafeOnline is enabled and browsers are opened xps files can't be opened, I mean IE crashes return.
    Any clue?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  4. pegas

pegas Registered Member

Just to let community know that the issue has been solved via a remote session :thumb: The problem was quite straightforward SO was blocking the xps viewer from accessing. The fix will be available in the next release candidate due soon.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I'm not experiecing this issue. I just opened a xps file in IE8, Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit.

Version 3.0.5.199

6. pegas

pegas Registered Member

That's good. Maybe the problem was down to Vista or it was sort of a specific issue on my system. Anyhow I am glad it has gone away.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.