Safe'n'Sec, adding "execution control"

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by polocanada, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polocanada

polocanada Registered Member

I see some people recommend Safe'n'Sec as being one of the most complete HIPS and behaviour blocking software. Does anybody know how to plug in the "process execution" hole in Safe'n'Sec?

Safe'N'Sec doesn't provide process execution. For me this is something I don't grasp. At least if they would provide an option for people to turn it on and off (for those who don't want this).

Is there any way to turn this on through rules etc in Safe'n'Sec?

If it can't be turned on, what other light and free software would you recommend for just "execution control". Process Guard? Some of the apps overlap.

Here is a link expaining strengs and weaknesses of Safe'n'Sec.
    http://www.safensoft.com/security.phtml?c=221&id=1178
    I was pleasantly surprised that this company admits weaknesses of their software. Here they talk about execution control. Explanation is stupid but the fact they are fair and opend was also another reasons I subscribed to their service. Many other security companies just tell marketing cr@p...

Here is another link (I am sure somebody else posted it here already) about comparison, in fact Execution control is one area where Safe'n'Sec is missing.
    http://wiki.castlecops.com/HIPS/IDP_programs/services

Cheers.

Polo

2. lu_chin

lu_chin Registered Member

I don't understand how SNS 3.0 works either. I bought and used 2.0 and 2.5 and they both asked for me permission when some new application first ran. But 3.0 did not seem do that anymore.

3. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Very interesting review, makes me want to take another look at SnS, but to be honest, while I did like it, I was not really happy with the alert popups and GUI in general, but I´m extremely picky when it comes to these things. :)

4. polocanada

I have to say I'd use better my brain next time. I just don't know why I was so rush with giving it a positive review and sending money without testing ir properly ...
    this inmature, I think my brain got cooked in this summer temperature in my backyard.

Here we go... plot thickens.. After a reboot the program doesn't start.

Originally I thought there was a problem with ESS which I also have installed. First time I installed SNS on Vista I couldn't boot into desktop. It kept saying my Vista is not genuine. (funny isn't it...?)...

I removed ESS because I sensed that might dislike SNS. Rebooted. Reinstalled SNS. Looks ok. Logged off. (ALL things above done in admin account)....

Logged in back to admin account. Seems to work fine.

Restarted.... starting starting... All seems fine, but SNS is not starting.... Clicking again, looking into tasks... it doesn't even appear after I double click on icon to start the proggy.

This is funny here. I will post another review about what HISP actually works on Vista.

Developers, Developers, Developers.... Developers, Deverlopers, Developers.... Get to work!

Cheers...

5. polocanada

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, so I checked out SnS Pro but I don´t get it, it doesn´t seem to alert about a single thing, and malware can do whatever the hell they want, am I missing something? Do you need to configure it in a certain way? Because it did seem to have a lot of options. :rolleyes:

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Winpooch is a high-potential HIPS freebie. Unfortunately, it is abandonware. Same seems true for CoreForce

8. ink

ink Registered Member

you don't need excution control, just make sure the system is clean, and then make a file rule to ask for creation of excutable files, it is much better than excution control. if you are using +antivurs, sns will scan before ask your question, then you can abandon your real time antivirus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.