Safe'n'Sec 2.5 Beta - Anyone testing it out?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by dja2k, Nov 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

I am testing out the beta built of SNS 2.5 Personal AV. I had been debating to try it out when I got the email to try it out. I did try it out however really quick back in Sept., and now I am considering to continue beta testing it.

Anyone else trying it out or did try it out back then, what do you think?

dja2k

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I was wondering if the plus av version which uses bitdefender engine is just for on demand scans or for real time as well?
    lodore

3. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

It is on-demand and it uses it to cross reference any abnormal behavior to its database before you take action into it to allow or block.

dja2k

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

thats clever really.
    what antispyware product does the plus av and antispyware version use any ideas?
    could the plus av version or plsu av and antispyware version be used along side nod32?
    lodore

5. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Actually its three different products, not to be used together, one is the normal version, the others are the AV and AS versions. I think either of them run fine along side any resident AV or AS. Its like Online Armor AV+ could run along side any other Antivirus because it only checks on execution. Look at my sig, I am running OA AV+, NOD32, and now SNS AV.

dja2k

6. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Like you I tested it - found a couple of niggles in sept - not tried it since- But I have always liked it.

Might have another look later

SNS has never been very popular at wilders - the AV-C test might change that .....

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I've stopped fooling with SnS. I've had problems with it since the last release build, and I tried this lastest beta with same result. What I really find a pain, and why I wrote it off, is the license issue. To trouble shoot meant a lot of uninstall reinstall, and with the install limit on the license it just is a pain in the neck.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

to any SnS users, can you answer this question:

9. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

WSFuser,

In my experience (fairly detailed with ver. 2; cursory with the 2.5 beta), I'd rate it as OK. Major applications are recognized, assumed fine, and run as they should. If you run many specialized applications it is similar to any other application blocker and you will be answering a number of prompts initially (assuming a standard install). It is intelligent to the level that a number of key items are monitored and alerts are raised if an uncharacterized application tries to perform any "critical" action (i.e. certain registry writes, process injection, terminating other processes, etc.). You can get a sense of what goes on by looking at the various rules.

I agree with Peter on the activation issue - there's really no reason to set it up as they have and it can be rather inconvenient.

One vexing problem I had in the v2 release was that the program, under some circumstances, lost track of the active console window. If a blocking alert occurred during this time, problems could follow since only the default action was available, and that was taken automatically after the timeout period (5 min. ?).

Overall, it was still a little noisy to my taste (edit: although I should add that 2.5 is appreciably better in this regard than 2.0); it worked basically as advertised; compatibility issues were occasional and with generally obscure programs (don't recall anything with what I would term a well known program); it seemed to have a fairly low impact on my systems.

Blue

Last edited: Nov 11, 2006
  10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Me, too, Blue.

I would already have bought SnS except for the activation nonsense. I will neither buy nor recommend ANY software that mandates *activation &/or limited installs* unless there is absolutely no alternative software to do the same job.

There are several good alternatives to SnS in the HIPS arena. I hope they realize that fact.

I'm fairly sure that it takes considerable programming ingenuity so as to prevent software piracy WITHOUT placing an undue burden upon HONEST users. Even so, I do hope that the proponents of SnS will take the time & effort needed to exercise such ingenuity in the near future.

11. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

And it is not like the installs are really limited since you can contact them to get a new serial code, but that just begs the question of what's the point of the limitation anyway
    You're quite right. In this product domain there are plenty of excellent options available to users. It really does come down to matching the program to your own operating desires if you choose to go this route.
    If you have a program that periodically checks for rule updates, which SnS does, it's actually not hard to develop fairly user-transparent antipiracy measures.

Blue

12. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi guys,

When you rate Antivir free + CyberHawk free as 90%, How would you rate SNS + AV? Please indicate gut feeling or experience when answering.

Regards Kees

13. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Mine is running silently here. Only popups I got were at the first restart saying Online Armor was doing something dangerous, it was just that oasrv.exe was starting oaui.exe. Clicked the box to remember the rule and click yes and no more popups.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.