Safe way to transfer files from guest to host?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Asus125, Mar 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asus125

Asus125 Registered Member

I have been using VMware Player for some time now. I know how one can copy files from guest to host host, but which is the safest way to do it?

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Depends on what you mean by safe... If you think about file integrity, then you could use a checksum to verify that, no matter how you transfer your file. If you think about security, you could use a protocol like SFTP (install a server on guest or host). But if you transfer files from your computer to a VM on the same computer, the second part (about security) should not matter too much.

3. Asus125

I mean by safe that any file which should remain guest cannot escape or make connection to host without my knowledge. For example: flash cookies, malware and etc.

I think there's currently a three choice to copy the files from the guest: drag and drop, usb-drive, and shared folder.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  4. Asus125

Does the shared folder feature use TCP/IP for transfering the file for my host desktop folder? If it uses, can it contaminate my network somehow? I am using NAT in guest and Both OS are windows.

5. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

There is no TCP/IP involved for shared folder (at least for VirtualBox), but having a working network connection on guest when running any kind of "dangerous" experiments inside a VM is not the best idea.

6. Asus125

Nice to know, thanks, Nebulus. I am also running everything in sandboxie (guest) and doesn't try to do anything harmful for the system. I am just trying to think worst case scenario before I act. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.