'Safe' to read newsgroups?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Robyn, Apr 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I have just changed my ISP today and they provide a news server which needs to be configured via Outlook Express.

I could not connect to see what type of news groups I could subscribe to as my router firewall blocked me at the setting I keep it at. I lowered it to the setting which allows me to get my BOClean update and OE downloaded the various groups (no messages)

I have never used Newsgroups before and wonder how safe they are as in Antivirus protecion - will my AV scan the downloaded messages if I subscribe (the only one I see so far is the 24hr help desk!)

As this is a new to me service I would be grateful for any advice. I am not too sure if I would be happy with lowering the firewall although I have my software one in place but is there a safe way to read and post to newsgroups as I certainly do not want a virus :eek:

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Newsgroups are safe to read. Just be very careful of what you download.
    Bad guys like to sprinkle the newsgroups with viruses.
    Your newsreader should have some safety settings to prevent malware.
    If something seems far off topic in a newsgroup, be wary of clicking on that post.

Agent or Free Agent are good newsreaders with settings for security. It does come down to you though.

3. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks ronjor - I somehow think I would be too worried about what may be there (I certainly would not be going to any links) but even though I have my security high I still think I would really worry especially as I have just noted you have to give an e-mail addy - OK I would not use my real one but having looked at the various things plus the firewall situation I may just leave the newsgroup as if it was never there in the first place.
    I thought perhaps it was my ISP news about things but it certainly seems to be a lot of things I would not be interested in at all.

Thanks for the advice on the readers - will look for them but 'think' newsgroups are 'not' me.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

5. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Ok thanks for the e-mail advice on this one as I would not even want spam to an account I only have for the 'just in case'

I will certainly try to learn more about newsgroups before I dismiss them totally. Still very unsure but something for me to investigate. Off to look at the list you have posted - thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.