Safe to disable .net Framework 3.5 SP1 Update's new processes?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Solemn, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Solemn

Solemn Registered Member

Well it's been a bit of a rough ride with the latest update from Microsoft--it's forcefully placed the assistant extension onto FireFox and now forces me to run two "mscorsvw.exe" processes which appear in the services directory to be labeled as "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN 2.0.50727_X64" and "Microsoft .NET Framework NGEN 2.0.50727_X86" with the start option as: automatic (delayed) .

There isn't much reliable information I can gather from the internet searches on this, so I was wondering if anyone could help me out on deciding whether or not it's safe to disable these services. From what I can gather the Task Manager labels these processes as .NET Framework optimization processes of some sort...

My other question regarding that FireFox addon is whether or not it's better to disable it or leave it enabled (I'm not too keen on removing it entirely just yet) and whether or not leaving it (disabled or not) there generates any security hazards or performance bloat.

Any feedback is much appreciated as this was a rather unpleasant surprise this morning when I did a routine update check.

2. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

3. Solemn

Solemn Registered Member

Thanks for the quick response, although I forgot to mention earlier I've done a regular couple of searches on wilders and didn't quite get the direct answer I was looking for. Basically there are a lot of pages flying around with information all over the place, but it's been hard to simplify it down to a basic answer of whether or not the services are optional to disable without any potential for issues to arise. If I could get some more info. on that I'd be very thankful as sorting through all those pages does prove time consuming (which I don't have much of at the moment hence my attempt at a direct thread).

As for the FireFox addon, I'm not really contemplating on removing it just yet, but I'm really just looking for a short answer on whether or not it is detrimental on overall performance (and security) if I leave it there turned off (or on). The answers on this have been rather mixed.

EDIT: Here's a bit of an update: those 2 services seem to run for quite a long while after starting up, which gave me the impression that they were permanent for some reason (as I would rarely ever see these processes running unless it was after an update), but to my surprise after a long wait they turned the processes off! I'll be re-evaluating whether or not this thread and issue are much of a problem to continue pursuing as time passes, however further input on the services and the FireFox add-on wouldn't hurt either.

EDIT #2: After some time it seems those processes have gone away, so it seems like it was a bit of residual from the actual update which was little surprising to say the least. As for the addon, I've managed to find ample information, so I guess this thread is somewhat useless--thanks in advance for the reply though.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.