Safe p2p

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tepe2, Mar 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

I want to use uTorrent to download a couple of videos. How can I do this as safe as possible? (For my security applications see my sig.)

2. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

Well from the looking at your sig you have all bases covered. Just download what you want and scan them before executing them. I download music and videos all the time and never been infected.

3. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

Depending on what you are torrenting you might want to look into an IP blocker that uses blocklists, Peerguardian2, Protowall, and I think the full version of Online Armor supports blocklists as well.

4. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks

Im new to OA and have to learn more about it. Can blocklists be downloaded somewhere or I have to create myself?

Talking about downloading files, how can I scan a downloaded file with Avira inside Sandboxie? I tried right-click but no option to scan.

Edit: I also tried to download a torrent from sandboxed Firefox. The torrent file showed up in uTorrent but could not start to download. Probably some settings I have to adjust, or it cant be done.

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Bluetack offers several blocklists.

Theres other lists such as Emule pawcio's ipfilter and fakelist for emule.
    If you have no option to scan, maybe you didnt install the context menu?
    Recover the torrent file from the sandbox, then open it in an unsandboxed uTorrent.

7. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

G1111 and WSFuser, thanks. I will check out the links posted.

I think I did. It works outside SB. I try some more.

8. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Just look in the sandbox (C:\Sandbox\%USER%\%SANDBOX%\...), find the file, and do the right-click scan.

9. baerzake

baerzake Registered Member

just use sandbox such as defensewall or geswall,open the videos in sandbox,everything will be ok even if the videos are virus.

10. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yup, second that

DefenseWall or GeSWall an easy way to keep downloaded files in the limited user right space.

11. chris2busy

chris2busy Registered Member

or u can just use whatever of those u like and run in limited user account ^^ even create one for just doing such stuff(having disabled administrative shares)

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I have LimeWire running sandboxed,its my guess video and music files are mostly harmless,but knowing what to download.

Set Limewire the only one to connect.

13. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thank you for replies, all of you :)

:thumb:

DefenseWall/GeSWall - At first I did not want to use a sandbox, but when I decided to try one I decided to try SB. Im sure DW and GW are just as good, but now I have learned how to make SB work in my setup. I have moved some important folders like MyDocuments, Firefox and Thunderbird profiles from system partition C to partition D. SB work nice with this setup and I have configured SB to save bookmarks and updates. I dont know how easily this can be done in DW, but I may try DW in near future to find out.

As for limited account - I really thaught seriously about it after reading some threads about it here at Wilders but decided not to use. It is great for security I know. I make use of the "Run Safer" option in Online Armor.

14. AndrewL

AndrewL Registered Member

Tepe2

Google ipfilter.dat uTorrent to find out how to use uTorrents built in blocking.

As for your final comment, all that I can say is "Good Luck".

15. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Thanks Andrew

Are you saying that the "Run Safer" option in OA is no good?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.