Safari for Windows beta

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by sukarof, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

The macpeople has released Safari browser for Windows.
    There is still some work to do, but it is fast enough. it will be interesting to see what it can contribute to the windows browser world.

Attached Files:

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello sukarof,
    Thanks for the heads up and it sounds interesting. Have you tried the beta yet? If yes, what is your impression of its performance and stability?

Thanks

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I have it installed in Vista. I have only used for an hour or so.
    It loads fast when launched.
    I did have one crash where safari died in the middle of browsing. I was loading up alot of tabs to see how much it could handle.. Not all pages are rendered correctly yet. But it loads pictures really fast, faster than I have seen other browsers do. In the name of science I went to some sites (which has loads pictures of naked ladies) and they load really fast, even the really big photos in which you have to scroll to see the whole picture. Of course I tried to get rid of the evidence, but I have no clue where safari keeps its cache. i will have to look at that later...
    Loading regular websites are not faster than say firefox. Definitely not as fast as K-meleon. But this is still beta I guess they are working on it.

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've just downloaded and so far no problems. It doesn't feel faster than Opera though, question is: Is it safer than Opera?

5. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Safari for Windows: Released and hacked in a day
    Article

7. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

people at different forums are complaining that there are too many bugs..........are u guys experiencing the same??

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

So far I can say that it is definitely slower than Opera (my current default browser), I like the looks of it and I agree with Sukarof that it loads pictures very quickly.

Sometimes when you click a link ( it happened twice at Wilders) it fails to open the page giving you an unknown error and advising to report it.

Does anyone know if there are more Safari users than Opera users? And in terms of safety which would you think is safer?

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Apple Issues Windows Safari Bug Fixes
    Brian Krebs

10. Arkham

Arkham Registered Member

I use Opera 9.20, and for most sites Safari is slower. It has other problems that keep me from using it - webpages render incorrectly sometimes, text smoothing is not right, and right clicking on a link makes it open up new pages without warning. But the deal killer is the lack of mouse gestures and limited UI customizability. It may only be a beta, but its operation is unintuitive and far from smooth, IMHO.

11. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I couldn't resist. Downloaded Safari this morning and in 4 hours of running, I've had similar problems that others have mentioned. When clicking on a thread here and other forums, I get an unable to open thing. They opened on the second try.

As for speed, at least on this computer, it blows away MSIE7 and Opera. Although I can't test the speed difference, it's enough to be noticeable to me.

So far, no freezes, BSOD's, or any other problems than the failure to open threads on the first try. I'll run it in Powershadow the rest of the day and, if it stays running without a lockup or the blue screen, I might consider installing it permanently.

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Also am trying it here, it seems way faster than IE7 and Firefox, also seems faster than Opera on my machine. Have not noticed any bugs or problems yet either. The one I downloaded was from 6/17 so perhaps they fixed a few. Anyway, it's not bad..

13. Chuck57

Can't try it against Firefox, since for some reason I haven't been able to figure out, Firefox won't run on this computer. My copy of Safari is version 3.0.1 (522.12.2). Frankly, so far at least, I've about decided I can live with occasionally not having a thread open and having to go back and click it again. This thing is just so much quicker than any browser I've ever used it's worth the once in a while glitch, which I'm sure they'll have fixed eventually.

I'm running it in Powershadow, as I mentioned, which might add a little to the speed, since PS seems to speed up my computer a bit. If it keeps running okay, and I keep it, we'll see what it looks like out of shadow mode tomorrow.

14. VikingStorm

VikingStorm Registered Member

I thought it was faster at first, but now it seems to be more placebo for me. Loads almost all the same across all browsers for me now.

15. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Safari ushers in better browser colors

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Security hunters have discovered numerous bugs in a Windows version of Safari, hours after Apple released a beta version of the browser into the wild.

story HERE

Updated story HERE

17. Chuck57

Thanks bigc. I'm keeping it on my desktop and awaiting their final. Safari ran well for a few hours and then the 'unable to open page' situation began to happen more and more often. Hopefully they'll get it all figured out along with their security problems.

18. Genady Prishnikov

Genady Prishnikov Registered Member

Unlike Microsoft, Apple ACTS on situations without delay. I am sure Safari will be breezing in Windows before long. I am already extremely impressed. So much so, I went to the local Apple store and let the Mac people show me their wares. Wow. That's all I can say. The incredible vibrance of colors on the displays are something to behold, the speed and integration of OS X is something. With Bootcamp, he showed me how you have the choice at boot of logging into OS X or Windows. I can use all my Windows apps and then - like most do - eventually dump it all together. But back to Safari - I think it's one speedy little browser. The only downside is RoboForm can't work with it and I don't think I could get by without RoboForm. Of course, with the Mac, there's Keychain which is basically the same thing.......it won't be long for me.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Chuck57

Tried it again yesterday morning through the day and had exactly the same problem as before. I downloaded a new copy and it will run fine for a while and then I begin to get the "Safari cannot open the page" thing. Each time I used the problem report thing to send the info to Apple. We'll see.

I'll stick to my new toy, surfing with Slax Linux inside either VMware or VirtualBox. Can't get much safer or better than that.

21. RobZee

RobZee Registered Member

22. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I tried Safari beta 3.0.3, issued 8/1/2007. Comments...

1- It installs without requiring a restart. Therefore I was able to try it out in shadow mode (ShadowSurfer) -- "shadow" is similar to DeepFreeze's "frozen".

2- I tested speed HERE. It tested much faster than FF & IE, & just a hair faster than K-mel.

3- It ran rock-steady during the 5 hours I used it.

4- I couldn't close a tab with my "center button" (press the scroll wheel) but had to use the tiny "x" on the tab, or else right-click & select "close". Bummers

5- I normally use screen resolution of 800x600 because it's easier on my eyes. K-mel, FF & IE work just fine at that resolution. On the other hand, Safari was useless at that resolution. So I had to switch to 1024x768. Safari did just fine at that resolution.

6- The tab titles are dark, with black printing -- hard to see. That's just cosmetics, so I'm sure it will be improved.

7- I used Safari's options to set my font preference as Trebuchet. After that, Safari rendered every page accordingly -- regardless of the font specified by the web page being viewed. Hmmm.....

8- Safari options let me specifiy a MINIMUM font size so that all print would be rendered at that size or larger.

Overall, Safari is good looking, fast, and promising. I put it on my "watch list" at FileForum/BetaNews & plan to test it again from time to time.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Still seems kinda early on to tell how it will come out, but it looks interesting. Lots of work left though...

24. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I wasn't too impressed with it. I don't really like the look of it and it isn't noticeably any faster than what i already have. But hey its still early days and it will improve no doubt.

25. Spyros

Spyros Registered Member

Any news about this one? I couldn't find any info about a non-beta release on Apple's site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.