Safari 5.0 has been released!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by SweX, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Apple released a new version of Safari yesterday at the WWDC 2010.
    That is Safari 5.0. Check it out @ http://www.apple.com/safari/

I have been using Safari since version 3.0 was released for Windows and version 5.0 seems to be a little faster than the latest 4.0.5 was.

2. progress

progress Guest

... still without Adblocker? :doubt:

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

It's a really silent launch for this browser. I have installed it and it seems like an incremental update of Safari 4. There are some nice touch-ups here and there, the page reader feature is a good effort but doesn't seem to quite work right everywhere though (I hope it improves).

It's quite snappy and fast. I really like Safari - I've been using it since version 4 was released and am loving it! :)

4. Victek

Victek Registered Member

It's "3% faster then Google Chrome"...LOL

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Eh......I really don't care much about how fast any browser claims to be. If a browser "feels right", has good features and works fine for my everyday purposes, I'm all for it. I even use IE8 a bit because I feel it "seems fine". The thing is - ultimately, between Firefox, Chrome, Opera and Safari, I feel that all of these browsers are fast enough for a normal user's everyday tasks. It's all about the feel - some users like Firefox, others like Chrome, and so on based on the feel. And I happen to like Safari! :)

(BTW, I think early tests are showing that Safari isn't really faster than Chrome anywhere, but again, it doesn't matter to me). :)

6. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Let's all rush to download it and get our machines pwned. :D

7. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

It's running fine for me. Does anyone know how to turn off image animations? (Firecat's flaming avatar is distracting)

8. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

Run Firefox with Adblock Plus (ABP)... ;-)

9. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

Unfortunately I have to use it in order to test web designs. For the rest it's the only browser that I have seen crash that much on Windows XP SP3. Hope this version to be better.

10. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

11. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Privoxy allows de-animation.

12. progress

progress Guest

I see, it's hiding the ads instead of blocking them (it's similiar to Google Chrome Adblock) :)

13. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That's why I'm using Privoxy. No download. Works across browsers.

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

BTW have anyone tested Safari 5.0 in the Peackeeper test?
    I don't dare to since my system doesn't includ the "latest technology" wich would lead to a not so good result:p

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Safari 3 wasn't bad when it first came out. It was fast & elegant & the bookmarking toolbar was a revelation. Safari 4, released about this time last year if I remember, was a bit of a disappointment for me & it took 2 or 3 upgrades for it work properly in a lot of Yahoo! pages. I think if you have the RAM & when more extensions are developed Safari 5 might be a contender. It has some nice features but I think the sheer lightness & simplicity of the Chromium browsers will appeal to more people.

16. emperordarius

emperordarius Registered Member

No, actually, if you read the FAQ:

Q: Does AdBlock for Safari actually prevent stuff from being downloaded, or just hide it after the fact?
    A: The former. Chrome doesn't support preventing resources from being downloaded, but Safari does, and I added code to support that.

17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  18. progress

progress Guest

I can't recommend a browser without automatic updates, what a pity ... :thumbd:

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

LoL are you that lazy?

All you need to do is to run (Apple Sotware Update) once a week to see if there are a new version. And if there are a new version available it will be downloaded automatically through the app, and installed automatically.

So you don't need to do anything at all just sit still and watch the update;)

Though, you can if you want to put (Apple Software Update) on Auto mode and you will be notified when a new version is available, so you don't need to run it once a week.

Simple and easy:thumb:

20. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

@ Swex

Actually there is a better solution, not only for Safari but also for any software you have installed. In that sense Secunia Software Inspector is better; it automatically alerts you that there is an update for your apps or windows.

http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

Thanks.

21. progress

progress Guest

Yes, but some users will close this window and Safari will stay out-of-date :rolleyes: I prefer automatic update like in Firefox or Chrome :thumb:

22. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I understand and maybe some do.

And I do also prefer an in-build updater like the one in Firefox.;)
    But since there are none at the moment in Safari, i'll just do it the way I explained.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.