Sabayon, Mandriva, Hymera

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by s23, Nov 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. s23

s23 Registered Member

Hi guys!
    Currently i'm using Ubuntu 9.04 and i'm thinking in moving on from it. With 9.04 i cannot make my VGA drives to work (video is very bad). I serached for solution and to make it work ok i need downgrade somethings (what i not want). I tested 9.10 and have problems with DSL (need connect though pppoeconf) and with sound. So I'm wanting go to one of this 3 distros. I already tried Sabayon and Mandriva 2010 and liked the two alot (man the mandriva control panel is great). I not tried HYmera beacuse My PC is overheating and i need make some maintance. SO what you guys can talk about this 3 distros? About stability, hardware compatibilities, easy of use - mainly install software that not is in the repositories and about the graphical intertface for the repositories. I'm thinking in put sabayo as host and put mandriva and hymera as VMs.... but wanna heard some points from more knowledgeable guys before. Hymera for being debian based can be better to install things like virtualbox not is? I heard sabayon can manage .deb and .rpm packages....is true?

Thx in advance

2. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Try opensuse if you like control panels.

3. s23

s23 Registered Member

Hi

I read about the opensuse control panel too... but normally i read more bad things than good things about opensuse. Maybe i will try a VM with it some day. I improvised some coolers and put mandriva to run for more time.... The first impression is good.....but after some time not liked much.... not know for sure what, but the "suggestions" to you buy the power pack.... the ask search toolbar.... for me this not behave to linux... so I distiched it .Not found much information about Hymera. Is good?

thx in advance

4. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

Never heard of hymera. Mandriva advertises so much because it needs to make money to survive. Most other projects are backed by some big company that pays.

5. s23

s23 Registered Member

I see. I completed the maintance yesterday. Will be trying sabayon, fedora, Opensuse and Mandriva (again). After Ubuntu release something about the bugs relationed to DSL and sound i will be adding it to the mix.

3 more questions if you guys can help me:

How much the settings at the Mandriva control panel increase security (when you switch from the default level to the max)? In which way i mean.. i see controling what rights is needed to access foldes and others settings, but what more?

Why the port 113 is closed (not stealth) when you enable the mandriva firewall?

The opensuse GUI for apparmor reallly make difference in configure it? A non tech guy can configure it with some read?

thx in advance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.