S10 Password Vault

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by moontan, Oct 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I'm not sure.There is already a browser extension ,to add the vault context menu ,though I guess thats a pretty basic extension.Im finding that s10 to password managers is like looknstop is to firewalls.Its not for the fainthearted ,and takes a little bit of rule creating and understanding,but it is very rewarding when it works.One site that im failing on though with auto login is paypal .I can get s10 to populate the email address but not the login field (using firefox).Do you use paypal and have a custom login?.Heres mine but as i say it only partially works.

Attached Files:

• s10.jpg
      s10.jpg
      File size:
      120.4 KB
      Views:
  2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

elisson,

i mainly used drag & drop when using S10.
    it seems easier than way.

3. Jingga

Jingga Registered Member

Hello people. It seems there's some experience/knowledge here with the use of keepass. I've used it for quite a while, first 1.x now 2.x. I wonder if anyone has any idea why sometimes the database will not open, even though I use correct keyfile and corresponding master password. I have ruled out mistypings and caps lock and such, and it occurs frequent enough for me to be certain there is no human error. My (Vista) system gets it's daily updates and scans so within my capacities it's clean.

I use a USB-stick for keyfile, and enter a master password. Sometimes, Keepass will tell me "wrong password", even when entering it 100% correct. Sometimes it will let me in after 3 or 4 tries, sometimes it will only after I exit and restart the program. Doesn't leave me feeling very secure about it anymore. Any ideas why such a bug could occur? Keepass themselves don't seem to have the issue in their support reads, neither did general Google results.

4. moontan

i only used Keepass briefly but haven't came across that problem.

if the problem persists give S10 a try.
    i like it much better than Keepass.

if you have 20 passwords or less you can also try Password Depot for free.
    more than 20 and you have to pay for the full version.
    PD is the best i've tried but unfortunately is a wee bit expensive if you go for the paid version.

5. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I've been using Keepass for a long time, and I never experienced that issue.

Have you tried contacting with the team behind Keepass and see what could be causing it?

Could it be a conflict with a third-party application?

6. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I was just looking at Password Depot. I've tried dozens of these and always end up going back to Roboform Pro. Is there a reason this would stand-out and be better than Roboform?

7. moontan

personal preferences i guess.
    there are many methods of entering data in PD: copy/paste, drag/drop and auto-type entry.

PD protects itself from keyloggers and clipboard loggers.
    it warns if a process is trying to get data from the clipboard.

it can be used as a stand-alone app, portable too if needed, without Cloud support if wanted.
    creating custom fields is a big priority for me and PD handles that superbly.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Thanks, moontan, I might give it a spin.

9. Jingga

Jingga Registered Member

Thanks all for the speedy response(s). I might consider using a different pw manager if the problem persists too frequent, though it took me years to gather enough confidence in these solutions as it is already; having all my passwords managed by a piece of software (that I lack the professionalism for to monitor if and what it communicates in the background, on a system with an open line to the internet). By reading around I finally figured Keepass had been around so long and reviewed by many field professionals, I could more less trust them to have investigated and tested this kind of insecurities that existed in my head.

Anyhow, as for my initial post, seems it wasn't entirely representative, as the error I get isn't simply "wrong password", but (and I have translated this from my local version, so it could slightly differ from the actual english error message): "Error loading the specific file. The composite key is incorrect! Make sure the composite key is accurate and try again." Which I'll do (try again) with exact same key and password, and sometimes it will let me in on the second try, sometimes on the fifth, and sometimes simply not till I un- an reload the program. But seeing this is a S10 thread, I will try and take this up with the Keepass team, and no longer pollute this thread with it ;)
    Just thought I'd be correct and complete the issue. Thank you's for the kind reception, anyway!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.