RVS 3 now supports 64-bit and Win 7

Discussion in 'Returnil Betas' started by Coldmoon, Jul 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

2. Martijn2

Martijn2 Registered Member

Thanks for the update Mike! I'm going to try it out ;)

3. subset

subset Registered Member

Do the 64-bit versions for Vista and 7 have any limitations or missing features compared to the 32-bit versions?

Cheers

4. Coldmoon

Hi subset,
    No, All features available regardless of whether it is x32 or x64. Also, the installer is for both so you do not need to download anything special to install on x64.

Be aware that XP 64-bit is not supported; only Vista & Windows 7 64-bit.

Mike

5. subset

subset Registered Member

Thanks for clearance.

Cheers

6. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Oh....My....F*#^ing....God!

I can't wait to get home and try it out. Thanks!!!:D

Woo Hoo!

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I cant test it for now, but I want to say to the entire Returnil staff, you are frigging amazing. You have done what others have promised, what others claim cant be done and you folks stole the show. For all the 64 bit users out there, you are to be commended.

Damn good showing:thumb:

8. mata7

mata7 Registered Member

i installed it yesterday and is working fine no a single problem so far, great job Coldmoon

9. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

IT WORKS on Vista 64 !!! Returnil can do, for sure while others "no can."
    Grats on an amazing software.

SourMilk out

10. Luxeon

Luxeon Registered Member

Ok, I am excited! A giant thanks to those who are working on this.
    I am not ready to try it yet, as my knowledge is limited and I don't want to get myself into trouble. I'll wait for the experienced people to thrash it for a bit.

I love the idea of being able to simply wipe away my activities, returning the computer to a fairly fixed baseline. It is the only thing missing from my Vista machine.

11. caspian

It was going really well. But I was having a problem with another program and so I uninstalled bother Returnil and the other program to try and do a system restore. When I tried to reinstall Returnil it gave me a message that the setup ended prematurely because of an error. When I tried again it said "A prior uninstall of a Returnil product did not complete properly. Please complete the uninstall of this software and restart your computer before reinstalling". I don't know what to do since it was already uninstalled.

12. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    Is this on a 64-bit system or on Windows 7?

13. caspian

It's on Vista 64 bit. It worked just fine until I uninstalled and tried to reinstall.

14. Coldmoon

Check your add/remove programs and then uninstall RVS 2010 if it is listed. If it is not, please send me the following files from your system:

1. C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    2. C:\Windows\rvs3inst.log
    3. C:\Windows\system32\Returnil\RVS3\*.db
    4. MSINFO32 report

Send them to support (dash) tech (at) returnil (dot) com with subject "RVS 3x failed to install"

Thanks
    Mike

15. caspian

I sent you an email. I will be away from home for a few days. But as soon as I get back home I will follow up. Thanks for you help. Caspian

16. silat

silat Registered Member

So you have solved the problem that Sandboxie says cant be solved?

Thanks

17. Coldmoon

Hello silat,
    Be careful not to compare apples with oranges here. RVS and SBIE are designed to tackle virtualization in different ways. I would take a look at the various explanations and discussions (quite a few here at Wilders) on where they face challenges and then compare their development efforts against similar types of programs.

Mike

18. silat

silat Registered Member

I am not quite knowledgeable enough to understand the difference. :) That is why I asked...
    Can you give me a brief explanation in laymans terms as to the difference?

And your program is working on my OS (Vista 64).

19. Coldmoon

The most important distinction here is what is being virtualized. RVS virtualizes the entire System partition by taking control of the real hard disk drive. IOW, RVS puts itself between Windows/programs and the real hard drive. SBIE puts itself between Windows and the applications it is sandboxing. Whereas RVS only has to worry about changes to the real disk, SBIE must take control of program processes and the file system. This involves a more difficult process, especially where UAC (User Account Control) and Windows Patch Guard are concerned.

Think of it this way:

1. RVS puts everything on the System into a fantasy world. All changes are lost at restart and what happened in Vegas stays in Vegas
    2. SBIE puts specific applications into a guarded play-ground where it must keep things from getting outside the fence. So what happens in Vegas may or may not stay in Vegas depending on what is being guarded.

To be an effective guard however, SBIE must take control of the application layer which is protected by UAC and Patch Guard which is using a different set of guards to protect Windows itself. So SBIE needs to negotiate jurisdiction whereas RVS just puts the guards and everything else into a virtual environment where jurisdiction is not an issue.

Hope that helps
    Mike

20. silat

silat Registered Member

So its all the kernals fault that SB cant work in 64bit.
    Coldmoon thanks so much for the explanation.

21. caspian

I just wanted to mention that the problem I was having of not being able to re-install Returnil on my Vista 64 bit has been resolved.

I was out of town for a few days. But when I returned, my computer was unable to update 3 important updates. I contacted Microsoft and allowed a tech to get inside of my computer. He could not fix it. So then I tried HP. They could not fix it either. So I re-installed my OS and all is hunky dory. I am trying to keep everything a little simpler on this computer from now on.

But I want to thank you so much for making Returnil available on a Vista 64 bit computer! t means a great deal to me. Caspian

22. caspian

OOPS! I guess I spoke too soon. I am now getting "RSV core system is not available". My computer when through a large scan to correct errors.

Should I uninstall and try reinstalling again? I did zip 4 files that I found if you want me to email those. rvsgui, RVSYSTEM, DATA, and RVS3.

Edit: I also found MSINFO32 report

23. caspian

I re-installed my operating system and reinstall Returnil. I was still having some odd behavior. The computer taking longer than what it should to perform a task.....and sometimes I had to make more than one request.

It seems like there is a problem with media. Large files especially. I had to restart twice and then my computer started scanning for errors. Eventually, windows media player, GOM player, and HP Games quit working. So I re-installed my OS again. I don't think it's quite ready for a Vista 64 bit yet, but it's getting close.

24. Coldmoon

Hi caspian,
    I apologize for not getting back to you sooner on this. Can you please try the installation again with the latest Beta release and send the reports you mentioned in your August 23rd posting?

We would also like you (and all testers) to submit Microsoft error reports through Windows whenever possible. This will allow us to collect very important dump information related to the incident that may or may not be entirely possible from a manual process performed by the individual tester.

IMPORTANT safety alert! Vista and Win 7

Windows Vista and 7 have a built in, automatic disk defragmentation feature that is activated by default. Defragmentation of the System partition can cause file damage if the RVS virtualization (System protection = 2x, and System Safe = 3x) featue is also activated. For this reason we STRONGLY recommend that customers and users deactivate automatic disk defragmentation on 32 bit and 64 bit Vista and Windows 7.

Thanks
    Mike

25. caspian

Thanks for the info concerning the auto defrag issue. I disabled that. I didn't even know it was there.

I nzipped up all of the files that I could find and sent them to tech support via email. I hope it helps.

I just installed the revised beta and it is running very smoothly. I haven't connected my external hard drive yet, with all of my music, movies, and videos etc... so I hope that is not a problem. But anyway thank you so much for this. I love this program. It is amazing~!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.