RVS 2010: why won't virus guard update?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by zonemaster60, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zonemaster60

zonemaster60 Registered Member

Just like the title says. I click on the update now link, it sits there forever and after that it just says the same thing over again. I assume it failed to update since it keeps saying to update it.

I am using these programs for security:
    I'll TRY shutting them down to see if it will update.

Online Armor 3.5.0.49 (firewall)
    The Shield Deluxe 2009 12.0.12 (anti-virus)

Shutting down these apps had no effect on the update process, I still get the 'update it now' link. It's not any big deal, I can get by without having virus guard running considering I have the other to above apps running. There might be a conflict between them, but it's just curious that the definitions won't update.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

zonemaster60,

Just posting as a fellow user here..., it's unclear what's up. I see the same behavior with update, even in a configuration where RVS 2010 is the sole security application. So all I can say is that it's not your machine or setup.

Personally, my recommendation is to roll back to RVS 2008 until Returnil has a chance to fully debug and address the situation. The prior versions do not have an integrated AV, but there seem to be some issues with high CPU utilization in the currently released 2010 builds as well, so caution seems prudent at the moment.

Blue

3. zonemaster60

I'm going to have to uninstall anyway. I'm getting BSOD's that I wasn't getting before now since I installed RSV 2010, specifically PAGE FAULT IN NON-PAGED AREA. I have gotten this twice in the last hour and a half and had to reboot each time.

I never had this problem before with RVS 2008....so much for the free upgrade to 2010.

This issue needs to be resolved before I will reinstall RVS at any rate.

Agreed...as far as the Vista compatibility issues. RVS 2010 is definitely NOT fully compatible with Vista at this time. If any one has any documentation/proof that it is to this date I would surely like to see it. Integrating the AV into RVS should have been a CHOICE at the time you install the product to maintain compatibility with Vista and other Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware products.

I'll run my system without RVS on it for 24 hours to see what happens. I'm not to worried about it since I'm fully covered with Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware products. Currently I do have these running:

Windows Defender (as far as I know) (anti-spyware)
    Spybot Search & Destroy (anti-spyware)
    The Shield Deluxe 2009 (anti-virus/malware)
    Online Armor (firewall/malware/hips)

I should say I'm not to worried about viruses, spyware, or malware at least for the next 24 hours anyway.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  4. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i don't even understand why anti virus module implement it a "boot to restore " software like RVS...what kind of viruses it detected? does he detect only viruses / malware that can kill it only? or a wide range signature like avira etc`?

cheers :)

5. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Well, we're getting a bit off topic here, but I assume that it's simply a mechanism to generalize the capabilities of the product with respect to computer security and position it so that a general user will look more favorably at the complete feature set.

Now, let's keep this specific thread on topic and focused on the lack of updating being experienced out there.

Blue

6. zonemaster60

Actually I am assuming one would need RVS in the first place is so there would be NO need for all these different security programs in the first place.

Just reboot your system and POOF all your troubles go 'down the drain' so to speak with RVS enabled.

And without the need for all those malware/spyware/antivirus programs your system, I would think, would boot much faster and have a smaller memory footprint.

I was kind of hoping this would be the case. But I really don't know whether uninstalling my anti-virus program and other anti-malware programs and run JUST RVS would work. I can't really say it is for SURE incompatible with another program I have running, it may just BSOD on it's own with no other conflicts. There really is no way I could possibly tell.

I REALLY hate uninstalling and reinstalling programs as the registry (despite what MS says) gets larger each time you install or uninstall. It doesn't get smaller when you uninstall items it just stays the same. After awhile of uninstalling, installing and reinstalling you get the condition what is often referred to as 'operating system decay' where your computer gets slower and less responsive after time goes on.

Well I digress,....lol......anyway if I still get BSODs I may/may not have to do a memtest then. But so far I haven't had a BSOD yet without RVS installed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.