RVS 2010 - constant disk access

Discussion in 'General Returnil discussions' started by 4ever, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

Hi,

On my vista 32 bit laptop with 2GB of memory caused RVS 2010, after activating the protected mode, constant hard disk access, even at idle.

It gives the impression that vast amounts of data continuously copied or cached without anything on the PC is running actively. This permanent access to the HD remind me of the Superfetch feature of Vista, only that which is done at some point during RVS constantly making these requests. The hard drive is working it very loud and will soon disproportionately hot.

I have now installed the trial version of 2008 and enabled only the pure memory caching. With this configuration, there are no such requests to the HD. Does anyone know how I can run the 2010 version so that there are no permanent access to the hard drive?

Thank you in advance!

4ever

2. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

PS

The CPU load is also constant in the range of 10-20 percent.

3. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

I have now submitted to the 2010 version of the slider for the size of the disk cache to 0 percent. Apparently RVS then works only in RAM. Now I have no permanent disk accesses more. If I set the control to 10% result for a minute or two to very strong hits, but then ending. Also we can deal with.

It would be interesting to know why RVS needs so massive hits on the hard disk and what exactly happened there. Why not in the interface is a little explanation of what they achieved just with the slider, I do not understand. After all, it is a big difference if I put a cache on the hard disk or in RAM. Well, it is up to the end user only many hours of testing and pondering, until you find the solution yourself and then halfway understand.

Best regards

4ever

PS

I used the Google translator to post hier, because I am from Germany and can not good english.

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello 4ever and welcome to the forums :)

Your English is sufficient and there is no problem understanding your issue report.

To better explore what is happening, please send the following logs with a reference link to this thread to support(dash)tech(at)returnil(dot)com:

* C:\Windows\rvs3.log
    * C:\Windows\rvs3-inst.log
    * MSINFO32 report**

**Click START > RUN > Type MSINFO32. On the System Information screen click FILE > Export and then save the file where you can find it to attach to your reply.

Thanks
    Mike

5. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

Thanks Mike, for your reply.

I currently have installed the 2008 version and only use the memory cache. In order to further document the problem with the log files can, I would have to again install the 2010 version with Discaching what I would not do for now. I would now like to test some time, the 2008 version extensively in daily life. But I shall return in due course and then send the log file.

Best regards

4ever

6. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

I now have the 2010 version on a fresh install Vista (without any drivers or programs, but on the same notebook as a dual boot sytem) installed and nowv i can not notice any permanent disk access.

It is therefore not a general behavior of the Returnil software, but is due to my particular system configuration. Next I will try again all on my main system and then post the log files.

Greetings

4ever

7. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

So now I have another RVS gestetet 2010 on my system.

In preparation I did a full defragmentation, when even large files are moved so that a large contiguous free space was created. (Vista defrag c: / f-v-w)

Now I have more I DO NOT permanent access to the disk, perhaps, a slight increase in disk activity reported. On my C partition is anyway not much disk space, so I think that a full defragmentation was absolutely necessary for RVS to function properly.

I'm testing the 2008 version in pure memory mode, no hard drive cache, but found that RVS so absolutely stable. I wonder, then, why should any one disk cache be useful? Perhaps for very long sessions, the handling of extremely large amounts of data?

Well, in any case, I find RVs awesome and I am glad that I can use for free.

Thank you!

Greetings

4ever

8. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

I have seen that always creates a cache file RVS in 2010 on the hard drive, even if one makes the slider to 0% disk space. (RVSYSTEM.CCH). Is great with me about 524 MB.

If something is confusing, if you mean the slider to 0%, but this does not really 0%, but "few percent". :)

RVS in 2010 tells me when you try to copy 2 GB that the Cache is full and freezes.

RVS 2008 sets the memory mode to no cache file, but it also works with large files 2 GB and more...!

I thus assumes that RVS 2008 but creates no cache, but the entire free space uses to cache.

Unfortunately, everything is very confusing. From the feeling I would rather use RVS 2008.

One familiar basically the software is not really because they do not understand works. This is unfortunate, because the program is really great.

4ever

9. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi 4ever and welcome back

One thing you can check here is if another security application you are using at the same time is "following" whatever RVS is doing. My first suspect would be some form of resident scanner so you should look there first and see if it might be happening.

Though not required for RVS to function, having a defragmented hard drive will help improve overall performance of RVS; especially where the HDD and/or cache are large. This is a recommendation we put in the User's Help Manual.

Memory is both RAM and Disk. Though it is not the same, a way to conceptualize this is to think of Windows Memory. Like Windows, RVS Memory virtualization will start in RAM and then move to disk when it runs out of room in RAM.

In the early 2.0 series (during the beta phase) RVS allowed saving content to disk when using Memory caching, but we discovered an issue where very large files or a large number of concurrent saves could result in file damage. So it became a trade off between performance (no saving content to disk) and the need to save content between virtual sessions (saving content to disk when using Disk caching).

As we moved forward, the two caching modes were merged into one in the 2010 line to create a truly dynamic caching feature where disk is still a major component, but RAM is also used to boost performance but not cause file damage.

Further, the Memory caching is a fail-safe feature in all versions 2008 and above to keep the virtualization enforced should anything happen to disk cache. It happens automatically and does not allow saving of content to the disk, but all changes are still dropped at system restart.

Mike

10. 4ever

4ever Registered Member

Thanks Mike, for the help.

I have now decided RVS in 2008 to be used in memory mode.

Thank you very much

4ever

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.