Russia: Hidden chips 'launch spam attacks from irons'

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ichito, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ichito

ichito Registered Member

Very innovative :D
    -http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-24707337

2. hawki

hawki Registered Member

This is Getting to be Maliciously Ridiculous

"Chinese appliances are shipping with malware-distributing WiFi chips"

"Was the iron in the last hotel room you stayed in made in China? Bad news: it may have been hiding an insidious little chip designed to infect your computer with spam-serving malware.

It’s not just irons that are being used as tiny trojan horses, either. Dashboard cameras, cell phones, and tea kettles have also been found inconspicuously outfitted with the malicious chips. They’re reportedly capable of latching on to any computer within 200 meters that’s attached to an unsecured WiFi network… like the ones in many hotels and coffee shops.

Shipments of modified small appliances are apparently popping up in Russia, but that could just be the tip of the iceberg. It’s entirely possible that the Russian gadgets were the first to be spotted and that similar malware gear has already been shipped to other corners of the globe."

more here:
    http://www.geek.com/apps/chinese-ap...with-malware-distributing-wifi-chips-1575315/

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Hmmm ... 'scratches head' ... urban mythology? o_O

4. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Dont use unprotected networks. Problem solved. :rolleyes:

5. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I need some professional help here. Let me get this straight because i'm one of those say it straight tell it straight sort of bubs.

Even if every household appliance secretly housed a Wi-Fi equipped malware, how in the blazes could something on that order possibly drive-by into any nearby computer device IF that device is using basic security programs like most user's here in Wilder's surely employ?

Or am i reading this wrong which i highly doubt.

Many Happy Regards

EASTER

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.