Runtime Live CD (Knoppix Based)

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by treehouse786, Nov 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

for the first time you dont need a 3rd party utility to restore a DriveImage XML image. DriveImage XML being one of the very few free imaging programs that restores to a partition of a changed size.

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

2. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Cool! I'll try it out! (Thanks for the news!) :)

3. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

http://www.runtime.org/data-recovery-live-cd.htm

4. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Doesn't work right on my Dell Dimension E521 at all! Only shows 2 partitions on the hard drive (there are 3.) Doesn't show the correct amount of used space or total space.

Needless to say, if it can't get it right before it even begins, I can't trust it for anything beyond that.

Too bad!! :(

**EDIT**
    Wanted to add that Knoppix DID show the drive correctly. It's something either in Wine or DriveImage XML that didn't work right.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  5. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thanks HAN for the details. I too noticed on my Dell laptop that DIXML does not show the small Dell utility partition, but does show the rest of my drive details, and also it does not show the sector information as does the windows version. So I confirm DIXML appears to ignore the small FAT utility partition, maybe because it is just FAT, not sure though.

The boot CD does sound like it is useful though. This lack of showing all the drive details has been a problem with Dixml since I have messed with it over the last 2 years off and on. I guess always room for improvement, but DIXML is actually a reliable imager for basic imaging, a bit more difficult in some cases for a restore. For free, it is capable, but why they make it difficult to enter the restore environment always baffled me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.