Running UT 2004 problem on line

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by BrainWarp, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrainWarp

BrainWarp Registered Member

I have a problem when trying to run unreal tournament on line--my computer will lock up everytime.If i turn off lns it works just fine.I have tried out all the different rule sets from phanton and what came with lns.Still the same damn thing.

What could cause this?I have had lns for 1.5 years and hate to give it up ,but my son is getting on my nerves about playing this game online.

thx :mad:

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

Hey BrainWarp

The rule-sets normally by default are usually set with one goal in mind, block as much remotely generated as possible while supporting basic communication locally initiated to common services like http, pop3, smtp… And of course this is a problem especially with gamers, we expect you to make additional rules or import rules that would poke additional holes in through your security to allow you to game and so on. So the best advice to you would be, stop looking for Look ‘n’ Stop rule-sets and make or import rules that would poke additional holes in through your security system which are vital for game-play.

And even though packet-filtering may be one of the problems, ensure the game applications aren’t being blocked from connecting rights and some cases even launching rights, and ensure there aren’t any DLL files being blocked. It is also known to happen when a not yet known application or DLL triggers an alert to prompt you with, make sure you respond appropriately, and if the game crashes then re-launch it.

Anyways, this should save you from having to switch to another software firewall, good luck.

Regards,
    Phant0m``

3. BrainWarp

Hey there Phant0m

I really have no idea on what rule and how to set it for unreal tournament.My son and i play 5 other games online with no problems.When i launch ut 2004 into online play no pop up window at all--computer locks up everytime.I have added ut 2004 to the application filter to allow,but it did not help.Most people are knowlegable within there expertise ,i understand schematics and can build an amp ,preamp or any electronics from scratch.

But i really do not have much understanding on making rules.

4. Phant0m

What version of Windows you running?
    I recommend disabling both DLL Module-filtering and Application-filtering and re-run the UT, to actually determine if the lockups are being caused abnormally or mere re-action to the packet-filtering.

As for UT needs do you HOST or mere JOIN or both?

5. BrainWarp

Ok---I tried out disabling the packet filter and that was it.Now sense we know what is causing this ,how do i fix it.I have added ut 2004 to the filter and gave it the ok to call out.That did not seem to work.

I'm running xp2 pro---I can't be home to shut packet filtering down everytime my son wants to play--and he surely knows not to mess with anything on the computer.

Suggestions?

thx Phant0m

6. Phant0m

UT should have been in the App-filtering list and authorized for connecting rights before disabling packet-filtering. Look ‘n’ Stop Application-filtering doesn’t function the same way as Application-filtering base software firewalls like Kerio, ZoneAlarm... When you authorize application connecting rights, you then need to manually make Internet filtering rules.

It would be best to read up on UT ports usage before proceeding further, I know it may be a bit of work, I guess this is the sacrifice we must make when wanting security.

7. BrainWarp

Well i guess it's time for me to cut lns loose now after a year and a half of good blocking.

I'm tierd of messing with it and i have to many other things going on to try and figure this out.I'm trying outpost out right now with no problems so far.

Thx for help anyway.

8. ArcAngel

ArcAngel Guest

Ive been playing UT and UT2k4 for a long time now with no problems :?

I had a popup box first time I ran it asking me to allow or block it and thats the only thing I needed to do.

9. BrainWarp

The problem is that it never gave me a pop up window.It would just lock the computer up.All other games i did get a pop up window---o well

10. BrainWarp

Very wierd--i just switched back from dailup to dsl and i got the popup from lns to let unreal t 2004 connect to the internet.

I would not get the popup while on dailup--just very wierd--but it works fine now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.