Running ProcessGuard and Online Armor at the same time

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by CJsDad, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

I've read in a few threads where people are running both programs on their computer.
    I'm not looking into doing anything like that, I have the paid version of ProcessGuard but I'm just curious as to why someone would run both programs, aren't these two programs somewhat similar to one another in how they run on your pc?

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Re: Runnning ProcessGuard and Online Armor at the same time

They are somewhat similar with Online Armor having a broader scope of coverage, so if you want the broader feature set of OA, you might want to run both despite the overlap. I tend to view these two applications as having very distinct target markets, with OA aiming for the mainstream audience while PG is, but it's very nature, really a product for the advanced user wishing a high level of customizable process control.

Blue

3. .....

..... Registered Member

OA will be expanding is coverage area soon too (firewall, kernal mode, registry protection etc). So bare this in mind you are going to purchase either product. It seems atleast for the moment ProcessGuard isn't going anywhere fast. Where as OA is (ie new version with optional anti-virus built in is in testing :cool: ). New (other) versions are not too far off either.

OA has "value added" features like webproxy (and filter) and HOSTS protection etc.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am a fan & user of OA. However, it must be said that (for the moment at least) PG is a full-fledged application firewall -- extremely powerful -- whereas OA is not. At present the only other program that I consider as being in the same league with PG is ApplicationDefender (Ghost -- also on these forums).

OA will *get there* with respect to doing the sort of thing done by PG, but it's not there yet. If your security need is NOW (& not just tomorrow) then you had better take a good long look at PG or Application Defender.

As to the comment that PG isn't going anywhere fast -- Neither PG nor Application Defender need to update signatures because they don't use them. They provide a lock on your door that only YOU can open. Unless & until something succeeds in breaking that lock (which hasn't happened yet) they don't need constant updates.

***This fellow Fred, who lives in Hawaii, finally retired from his job. A friend asked him, "Are you going to travel a lot?"

***Fred replied, "Why travel? I'm already here."

In my OPINION, such is the case (pretty much) with PG.

5. .....

..... Registered Member

I was more on about "bugs" with ProcessGuard (ie incorrect handling of services.exe and rundll32.exe). They don't look like being fixed soon o_O

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

For a newbie IMO, I would suggest running AppDefend because of it asking each confirmation whereas ProcessGuard would have to be set to Learning Mode which can lead to some things getting permission that you wouldn't want it to have. Also, ProcessGuard Protection has to be disabled to install a new program whereas you might get away with it clicking accept to all the popups you get druing setups. Though the best thing is to disable both PG and AD. I on the other hand run Online Armor, ProcessGuard, and AppDefend with no problems.

dja2k

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.