Running Alot of Security Programs

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Sam400, Sep 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sam400

Sam400 Guest

When you guys run alot of security programs how much ram do you use I use 256MB and that is not enough would I see a huge imrovement in performance speed running at a 1GB.

Any insight is welcomed

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You would see an amazing difference by upgrading to just 512mb

3. Sam400

Sam400 Guest

Thanks for the quick response my computer is WinXP Home and Pentium 4 prossesor and it always says that Virtual Memory is low especially when running games.

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I had a gig of memory in this XP comp. but I took 512 out and it runs just great with the remaning 512. A gig of memory is pretty expensive for something that you probably don't need.

5. Dazed_and_Confused

Dazed_and_Confused Registered Member

Amazing is a good description, BigC. I have a two of the same PC's, except one is running 256mb and one running 512mb. Very similar software. Wow.

6. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

I run 256MB (240 after onboard graphics, soon to be fixed tomorrow by installing a new card.) in this machine (Celeron D 2.66Ghz), I run a pretty good but basic setup (I will not give it out, but its 4 programs or so.) and I still get pretty good speed with my system, all in all though 512MB would be the bare minimum anymore for anything, and I plan on throwing in another stick of 256 very soon and I am also in the midst of fixing up an old AMD K6-2 PC as a hardware firewall so I can drop my software firewall or atleast replace it with a light firewall like Kerio 2.15 or another.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    I run a 2.4GHz with 1Gb, 2.6GHz with 768Mb, 3.2GHz with 512Mb, 1.7Ghz AMD with 512MB, an old P3 533MHz with 400Mb, and so far I liked the 1Gb the best. I'm in favor of as much RAM as possible. Someday you'll need it. I'm buying a new compie soon, and I'll prolly go for 2 or 4 Gb. If you can afford it, shoot.
    Mrk

8. Comp01

Comp01 Registered Member

1.5GB would be enough for the next 3-4 years most likely, anything more than that is over kill unless you're doing high-end video editing, graphics work, or etc, but even then you'd be better off just getting 2 SATA drives and RAID0 with 1-1.5GB instead of 4 gigs of ram. It all depends on the user, I personally can get by with only 64-96 if I really needed to, as I said, it depends on the user, their software configuraton and how much multi-tasking they do 384-512MB is enough for most normal users, 1-1.5GB for power users, 2-4GB for high-end graphics designers (As in movie effects, etc.).

9. Sam400

Sam400 Guest

My brother plays alot of Half Life Two and Farcry which just take the system down so I though it would be a good idea to get a 1G. The company we bought the comp from said they can put it in for $100-$120 So thats not to steep a price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.