Run windows Vista/7 sandboxed!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by pandlouk, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

For those that want to test new software in a sandboxed environment, without using virtual pcs (virtual pc, vmware, vitrtualbox, e.t.c.).
    Full article:
    Windows 7 Boot from VHD
    Part 1 Create/Mount VHD files in Windows 7
    Part 2 Boot from VHD in Windows 7
    Part 3 Boot from VHD in Windows Vista

2. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

So does this give you the exact insulation and protection of a VM?

3. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

The real point of having it like that, is only for testing purposes, if you don't wish to go down the road of snapshots, etc., and have the slowdowns of VMs.

Otherwise, the only difference, is that you would be installing O.S and apps to a vhd.
    I believe your concern is related to infections, right? If that's it, then vhd won't do anything against that. If it infects, it infects, and you need to clean, or simply kill the vhd.

I also had the impression that vhd would only work with Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

4. Boyfriend

Boyfriend Registered Member

Thanks pandlouk for information and link. I will try it soon as it looks promising approach.

5. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I messed with this once. It was interesting, and something I planned on revisiting at a later date. Now there is a set of links here for the day when I do play with it again. Thanks!

Sul.

6. pandlouk

@all,

you are welcome :)

I think that vista will be able to boot from a vhd as long as:
    a) the user replaces the vista bootmanager with the 7 bootmanager (inside the vhd)
    b) injects windows 7 "VHD miniport driver" to the vista installation (vhdmp.inf, vhdmp.PNF, vhdmp.sys).

Panagiotis

7. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

VHD is quite extensively supported now. Native to Win 7 Enterprise/Ultimate, 2008 and Vista via a hack (as above) although it is a part of Vista. Advantages are many.

8. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

pandlouk, I've mounted Windows 7 System Images as VHD many times for various reasons. The bootable part of it is new to me thanks to you. I assume doing this(bootable part) with an ISR app such as Eaz-Fix(all flavors), Roxio or CTM installed would be a no no?

9. pandlouk

With Roxio BakOntrack and FirstDefense-ISR you won't have problems.
    With Eaz-fix and CTM don't do it. Running a virtual drive (VHD) inside another virtual drive (Eaz current snapshot) is asking for trouble.

Panagiotis

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.