Run NOD32 as purely on-demand scanner?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by ola nordmann, Jul 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ola nordmann

ola nordmann Registered Member

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to install NOD32 as a second scanner with all real-time stuff deativated so it doesn't conflict with an existing AV, and only use it for regular on-demand scanning?

2. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    I'd imagine it would be. I've done it once or twice, but then again I don't have any other real antivirus software installed. Just make sure it's all actually disabled.

An alternative might be to ask around and see if they can send you a version without the real time stuff, if you're sure you won't ever need it. I seem to recall something like that happening (where nod excluded a monitor) for another person around here with a problem on his pc.

The only question then becomes, would you be willing to pay for a license just to have on demand? Without trying to take money away from Eset here, there should be plenty of other free AV's you can use just for on demand.

psych1610

3. ola nordmann

Yes, but even if you deactive AMON and other realtime monitors, there are still modules that's loaded?

I don't have detailed knowledge over NOD32, but most AV programs install several kernel modules and services, and it's common that some of the stuff is still loaded even if you deactive realtime-scanning.

4. psych1610

psych1610 Registered Member

Redneckville, FL .. originally Newburgh, NY!!!!
    I've used a few other AV's namely Comodo, and with Comodo if you disabled real time it was possible to use it purely on demand with other AV's. I realize many other AV's may install other kernels and services but I believe Nod only has two services running (at least that appear in task manager), and I think there is just the one kernel. I may be oversimplifying this, I'm by no means a computer expert but I think it should work.

You can always try it and hope for the best, at the worst can't you just reboot in safe mode and uninstall the other AV? Then you have your answer even if you did get it the difficult way lol

Good luck

psych1610

5. The_Duality

The_Duality Registered Member

I do believe it is possible to completely unload AMON. Stopping AMON is prevented by default, but a peek in the settings (under the "security" tab) shows that you can "allow manual stopping". If you check this box and then unload AMON by using the stop button, I should think that AMON would be completely unloaded and stopped.

EDIT: Yes, clicking the "Stop" button after enabling it in the settings does unload AMON from memory and stops it completely. Im not sure whether it is re-enabled on reboot, this is something you will have to try.

6. oldshep

oldshep Registered Member

Another possibility is to just use the free Eset Online Scanner - currently in beta. If you are interested, check out the "News" section on eset.com's main page.

7. ola nordmann

I have already tried it, but it's a bit limited compared to other online scanner.

Unfortunately you can't choose drives/folders, and a complete scan can take a while with some TB's of data lying around ;)

8. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I would also be interested in an on-demand version of NOD32, preferably a commandline version (like the Ewido and A-Squared CLI scanners)
    Unfortunately, NOD32 for DOS is dead.
    I'll send a PM to Marcos and I'll ask him about this.

9. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Vendors are in,to earn money its in their interest to sell large quantities and to get a big marketshare they have to adapt to the knowledge of the average Johny [ the biggest market] who knows not that many bout this stuff,and sure never heard about commandline stuff.So Nod in their own interest has to make their stuff more simpler and average Johny friendlier. And your Geeks are a diminishing minority maybe 0,0001% of the total market so i suppose that Vendors are not interested in overcomplicating their stuff in favor to you.

10. lucas1985

I understand this, geeks/enthusiasts are a minority :)
    But a CLI scanner is not very hard to do and there's a sizeable amount of people waiting to use the power of NOD32 on-demand without installing anything.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi to make the stuff more userfriendly and simpler to set up has everything to do with intelligent and talented bright coders !!

12. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

don't understand me wrong also like your idea but is it possible in the light of rigorous business demands.

13. lucas1985

A CLI scanner isn't only useful to geeks, system/network admins use a lot of CLI tools through batchs/scripts :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.