Run External Application task on Network drive not working

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by duncantuna, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duncantuna

duncantuna Registered Member

I'd like to run a .bat file via NOD32 4.2's Task Scheduler, using the Run External Application function.

It would appear that a task will NOT fire, unless the program is located on the C: drive. Attempts to define a task, directing it to fire a program on a mapped network drive, or \\IP address seem to fail immediately.

Is this by design, or am I doing something wrong? Or a bug?

2. no_idea

no_idea Registered Member

please keep in mind that tasks started by the nod32 scheduler are run in the security context of the ESET service.

On my systems ESET service ist started as "local system". Whereas the "local system" account has very high privileges on the local system, it is a "nobody" on network drives and cannot access any resources located off system.

If the task you have in mind is an external program, why not give the job to the built-in windows task scheduler, where you can supply it with valid LAN credentials.

3. duncantuna

duncantuna Registered Member

Ah. That would make sense.

Any possibility there's a way to launch a task that's not from the Local System user?

4. jimwillsher

jimwillsher Registered Member

How about a .bat file on the C: drive which in turn runs a network task using runas ? Highly clunky and really bad practise/security, but it might work if you're prepared for those trade-offs.

Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.