Run ESS on its own or with other protection?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by Ade 1, Jul 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Hi.

I just wondered what other ppl were doing in terms of any additional protection.

I realise ESS covers pretty much all bases (anti-virus/spyware, firewall, antispam) so do I need to run anything else (e.g. antispyware program such as Defender/CounterSpy) or will ESS provide me with all the protection I need?

Be good to hear what others use.

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

For realtime protection I think its fine, but having SUPERAntiSpyware or similar for additional ondemand scans doesnt hurt.

3. Silenius

Silenius Registered Member

Defender is inc. with Vista which I use from time to time for on demand scanning. You only real option to add something would be for on demand purposed. A good anti spyware for on demand may be useful although I have honestly never had one that picked up on something that NOD32/Smart Security didn't.

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. I disabled Defender some time ago and swapped over to Counterspy v2 which has been running fine. At the moment I have active protection enabled in that even though ESS is running too.

So I could actually disable that and just use for on demand scans only if I wanted to.

5. WSFuser

Yes you could.

6. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Ok. I'll do that. Reason I asked initially was that there always seems to be mixed reports about what to run and what not to run. Presumably antispyware apps are designed more for ppl who just have a stand alone anti-virus product running?

ESS states in the options "antivirus and antispyware module" and ESS shows up in Vista security centre under both anti-virus and anti-malware protection.

Guess using Firefox (which I do) is more secure also. Not sure how paranoid everyone else is out there, but reviews of apps seem to make you feel more vulnerable and are almost "forced" to invest in an anti-spyware app with active protection.

Cheers again.

7. WSFuser

What you decide to run (AV, FW etc) is up to you. There is no universally correct combination of apps to run.

8. osip

osip Registered Member

The simpliest and best combo with Essb is for sure Returnil used in "session mode"...

9. darthsideous666

darthsideous666 Registered Member

I am running Primary Response SafeConnect and SUPERAntiSpyware in real time, along with ESS. No conflicts with programs or scans.

10. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

I didn't get any conflicts using ESS and CounterSpy and looking at the resources used by both they're very minimal and I didn't notice any impact on performance.

There's so many apps out there though that most ppl seem to be using different ones/set ups. I guess it's what you're happy with and what works well for you.

On a side note, I emailed some feedback to Eset yesterday about ESS and received a personal response back from one of the developers. Very impressed by this level of customer support.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.