Run as in context menu problem

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by greg32, Jul 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greg32

greg32 Registered Member

Hi there, does anyone know if the 'Run as' command should show up in a limited user account context menu, when you right click, or shift right click on app?? Or is there some restriction I am not aware of? On my XP SP2 system, it shows in Admin accounts, but not limited, and was wondering if someone can check their system for me please. I can use the command line version of run as no probs in the limited account, but no access from context menu, and who wants to do it from CLI all the time - lol.

Cheers Greg

2. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Hi greg32,

Would this page help?
    I don't mind the prompt having added it to my context menu through the registry addition described here.

GF

3. greg32

greg32 Registered Member

Thanks for the links, I had seen the microsoft one already, and it does not help me, I have services running and all..
    The O'Reilly one was good, didn't know those reg hacks so thanks!! I did not see that article mention the 'Run As' option on context menu though. I think I might a registry hitch or something. Reason is I have found that if I right click on a Control Panel item, I am issued with a small four item context menu, that I can use run as with no probs, using the gui, so I know it does actually exist under my current account, but any other link in for example start menu All Programs menu, shortcuts on desktop, and even the direct executable in program files dir does not let me use run as from right click.

Any ideas would really be appreciated,
    Cheers Greg

4. G-Force

G-Force Guest

Greg,

Since your wanting access to CP items, try your Shift trick from "Classic" view if that's not what you were using.
    You may also be able to get run as ... employing a "separate process" flag.

GF

5. greg32

greg32 Registered Member

G-Force, thanks for the links. My main problem is that no matter where in my limited account, I need to be able to execute a program as Admin. This seems not possible in my user account, but the internet is full of faqs saying I should be able to, so why am I so different?? lol. The only place I DO get the run as in the context menu is in the control panel, but no where else. This problem is very inconvenient. But I am trying this for the first time, normally in the past I have only used a locked down Admin account, but now I WANT to make this limited account work for me in a convenient way. So for now I have to use cmd.exe, and execute the file from there as admin using runas utility. This is a little undesireable.

Cheers Greg

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, i'm in the same position as you - running a limited account and need to run some programs with admin rights. i can, at about 95% of places, select Run As when i right-click a program, but when i select my Admin Account from the popup it gives it says it wont/can't run.

Did you say you can get it to work with cmd? can you show me how, please? that would be perfect for me as i, in most cases, only need to run the program once to get it setup.

if i find anything out i'll let you know :)

in the screenshot; the picture below i fill in my admin details, then i get the popup you see above :mad: :'(

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.