rules for iTunes homesharing

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by Thomas M, Oct 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thomas M

Thomas M Registered Member

Hello LnS dinosaurs ;)

I need some help with my Win7 machine, LnS 2.07 and the latest iTunes.

To run iTunes Homesharing the following steps are required:

I created 3 simple rules in Internet filtering:
    - allowing 1 TCP port (client and server = 2 rules)
    - 1 UDP port rule

-- then I bind these 3 rules to "itunes.exe"
    -- and put the rules on top of the "block all incoming connection" rule

Ok fine, but one problem remains:

- Whenever I start home sharing on iTunes, my computer/LnS asks to allow "svhost.exe" to start another application (Apple Push). Then Apple Push (I think it is Apple Push) connects to some Apple server, IP 17.xx.xxx.xx
    If I don't allow this, home filtering does not work, my Apple TV can not access the movies on my iTunes on my computer in the same local network.

However, I don't want to give "svhost.exe" too much freedom. So far svhost.exe was set to allow only port 80,443 (TCP) to a local address and very few ports for UDP (to reach my DNS server).
    I don't want permanently to allow "svhost.exe" so much potential power via iTunes, since now all other allowed applications can start "svhost.exe" to start any 3.party app...

Is there anybody out there, who uses iTunes homesharing without giving "svhost.exe" global permissions o_O

Thanks for help,
    Thomas :)

2. Phant0m

Phant0m Registered Member

You would want to ensure that you are controlling the Apple Push launching. Does Apple Push still get started via Windows Run key? Or has that been disabled?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.